Team Camaro Tech banner

Pertronix Ignitor

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  mr69 
#1 ·
I recently installed a Pertronix Ignitor in my 69 Z28 will no problems. Seems to run a little smoother, but maybe that is just my imagination. Has anyone else noticed a performance improvement after installing one? BTW I installed the lobe sensor version, a few bucks more (PN 1181LSC).

------------------
George Thomas
1969 Camaro Z28 X77
http://members.aol.com/gthomas917/private/gt.htm

#3 ·
Glad you put this on the site, I am about to purchase the pertronix system also and was wondering how it works. What is the difference in the lobe sensor version and where did you by it? I was going to order mine from summit.
Thanks, Jack

#5 ·
i have the unit on my '69. It works great. Never misses a beat. It improved my hp too.
I noticed a big difference..
Best $66 bucks i ever spent.
BTW, i used the ring version, not the lobe one...

------------------
'69 Camaro Convertible

#6 ·
There are two versions. The standard version uses a ring (magnetic) installed in the distributor and the lobe version does not require the ring. My guess is that both work equally well. The lobe version costs a few dollars more and could be installed without removing the distributor, although I did to make it easier. I bough mine at Retro Rockets (Norfolk, CT) they have a web site if you do a search. Cost $67.50 delivered.

------------------
George Thomas
1969 Camaro Z28 X77

#7 ·
Check on Ebay guys. I've seen them for sale brand new for around $55. I've used it on several cars and they ran great. Idle really smoothed out(except for the 67 RS/SS 454 with L88 cam).

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes being restored

#8 ·
Wow, I just did this Saturday and now I check the board and see this post on top! Jeff is right, check eBay, I got the ring type Ignitor on there for $60. Installation was easy. When I finished up and crossed my fingers and turned the key, the engine fired up *immediately*!! Much faster than with the points. Seems to idle a little smoother. No gains in power, but hopefully it might give me an extra mpg or so. I took the points and condenser and put them in a bag to keep in the car just in case the module fries and I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere. Oh, it seems to work fine with the 7mm spark plug wires I've got in there. It uses the stock coil, so I don't see any reason why you'd have to upgrade the wires.

#12 ·
I installed the "lobe sensor" on my Vette, and now it seems to idle smoother. It can also idle at very low rpm without stalling. There is one minor annoyance: I have to turn the ignition on and wait a couple of seconds for it to charge before I start the engine; otherwise it wouldn't start.

I got it from Retro Rockets. They had the best price when I bought it, and free shipping to boot.

-Pedro

------------------
'74 Corvette Coupe L-48 Automatic

[This message has been edited by Pedro'74 (edited 02-05-2001).]

#13 ·
Pedro'74 -- this is a quote from the Retro Rockets webpage about the lobe sensor version:

"Lobe Sensor Ignitors are easier to install than the original 1181 but require a slight change to the engine starting procedure. To start the engine,the key is turned to the "on" position for 3-5 seconds before cranking. This allows time for a special capacitor inside the module to fully charge. Once charged, the Ignitor will fire the engine right off. (The original 1181 does not require this charge time.)"

#14 ·
Ken,

Thanks! I wish I had read this info before, since it took me some time to figure out what was going on. Now I'm used to it: I know I have to turn the ignition on, then buckle up, and only then start the engine.

I believe that if I knew that, I would have bought the other version, since I ended up pulling the distributor anyway (had a hard time routing the wires through the grommet under the distributor).

-Pedro

------------------
'74 Corvette Coupe L-48 Automatic

#16 ·
I saw that article. They called it Igniter II, but I am not sure if that is the lobe sensor (LSC) version or not. Or if Igniter "II" applies to a newer version of both the LSC and non-LSC. Anyone know?

Also, any opinions on which one to get? Any reason to NOT get the Lobe sensor version? Why does the distributor need to be removed for the non-lobe version?

btw, the Hot Rod article was on a stock 67 327, and showed no performance improvement at all (not that Pertronix claims any).

[This message has been edited by Ken67SSRS (edited 02-12-2001).]

#19 ·
Ken,

It is possible to install the lobe sensor version without removing the distributor, but it is a little challenging. I found I could not easily remove the original grommet with the distibutor in and knew I'd have some difficulty working the new wires through the hole, so I took the extra few minutes to remove the distibutor.

------------------
George Thomas
1969 Camaro Z28 X77

#21 ·
I think the reason i saw a big improvement is that i had a pre-existing problem with my set of points. After ripping those out, my car ran great. It may not have been the Ignitor, but it sure came at the right time!

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.