electric choke - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Question

i have a carter competition series 650 cfm carborator with an electric choke, currently its not hooked up and there is no wiring present. can some one tell me how an electric choke works and how to hook it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
The choke works by powering a heating element which heats/winds a spring. This spring is connected to your choke rod.

You'll have to hook up 1 terminal to a ground and the other to a switched 12 volt supply (ignition).

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 11/7/00)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 07:09 PM
Pete Lentino

I have the same carb for my 69. What do you mean by switched, do I hook it up to the ignition switch or a separate manual switch.

Thanks Pete

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 07:12 PM
Pete Lentino

Never mind the previous question, I guess I should read everything more carefully before I post a reply.

oops
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech

Someone please correct me if I give wrong advise here as I am going from memory. On the choke housing, you will see +/- listed next to each of the terminals. You will want to run a very short wire (4-6 inches) from the negative terminal to a ground. Most I have seen are grounded or attached under one of the screws on the carb body. The positive wire is much longer and I have seen recommendations that you connect this wire to the wire that powers the windshield wiper motor for a couple of reasons. This power source supplies the right amount of volts to make the choke work properly, and it turns on and off with the ignition key. Once connected, you will know it's working in a matter of 1-2 minutes as the housing will get very hot to the touch! And obviously, you will see the choke butterfly start to open.

[This message has been edited by denverRS/SS (edited 11-17-2000).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 00, 07:24 AM

I've always connected the positive to the positive side of the coil-and mine works great.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 00, 04:24 PM
Team Member
John

It'll work better if you connect it to a 12-volt feed - it's only getting 5 volts from the coil, as the resistance wire cuts coil feed voltage except in the "start" position. The bi-metallic element in the choke needs 12 volts to heat up enough to fully unwind (and fully open the choke blade).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode