SEMA 2000 Chevy 302 Concept Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 00, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Check this link out for the hot 302 concept camaro. It would be a good challenger to those new 5.0 Ruststang's if they decide to put it into production.
http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/news/sema00/gm.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 03:13 AM
Senior Tech
David

That's pretty cool. Wish they'd sell them, and that ZL-1 fourth gen concept they built about five or six years ago.

------------------
'68 Convertible SS-396
'69 Pace Car 350/4 spd.
'97 SLP - SS LT-1/6 spd.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 03:28 AM
Tech Team
will

man im heart-broken that they are doin away w/ the camaro. but i can see why, they've had the same body style for what......8 years or so? but at least the memory and camaro will live on in its enthusiasts.

------------------
Black 82 Z28 t-top, 350 w/ TH350

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 04:29 AM
Senior Tech

I can't honestly believe Chevy would do away with the Camaro- it makes no sense. Do they think that everyone who wants a performance Bowtie will step up to a Vette? Or maybe they think we'll all be satisfied with an "SS" Cavalier? Not. I prefer to think they're just going to pull off the best kept secret unveiling ever. I can hope anyway.
In the meantime how about building that Grand Prix G-8? That was awesome!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 05:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Follow this link, http://www.fbody.com/members/silvrrs/future/future.htm you will need acrobat reader to see the GM documents. It's very interesting stuff though! 2005 F-Bird may be on the corvette platform....

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech

Red face

I don't own a first gen, so this might be a stupid question. The site listed above had this quote.

"To commemorate the original Z-28 Camaro, Chevrolet unveiled a fourth-generation F-body powered by a wicked 435-horsepower 302 V8 that would make any '67 Z owner proud."

Did they have 302's in 67?????

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 07:34 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Yes, I beleve 602 of them... If I got that number is wrong someone will correct me!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 11-16-2000).]
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

There were 602 Z/28's in '67 that came with the 302. The Trans Am series had a production minimum of 500 cars in order for you to compete.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 00, 09:54 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
there was an artical in Super Chevy about the future of the Camaro;was very interesting.Some artist had a consept of what he thought the new camaro would look like.(someone posted pics here)If GM would do something like a bring back of the old style , but updated,I for one would love to get my hands on one;but special ordered with a 502ho,and a 6 speed.ok i gotta stop,just the thought is too much.(look at how the PT Cruiser is doing / retro styling)

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 11-16-2000).]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 05:07 PM
Jeremiah

G.M has anounced that there will be a 5th generation Camaro. Rumer has it that it will be built on a 100 inch wheelbase and have Indipendant rear suspention. The motor will be an OHV version of the current LS1 witch is the same motor to be installed in the 2004 C6 vette. A G.M Executive told an officer of the U.S Camaro club the new Camaro will resemble the most popular Camaro ever. It will share its chassis with others in the G.M lineup. The firebird will not, It will be a two seater V6 roadster to compete with the BMW Z3 and others like it. currently it is an untapped and very large markett to G.M. If the rumers are true ill be in line to bye a new Camaro sometime around 2004.

Two 69s one original Z/28 with 34,000 documented original miles.

[This message has been edited by Jeremiah (edited 11-21-2000).]
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 00, 05:27 PM

Many a major car company has "discontinued" a particular model vehicle to the dismay of the vehicles fans, only to unveil an updated model a few years later. My guess would be that it takes the pressure the design team for a few years. During which time they don't have to worry about making standard annual subtle changes to a current model. Rather they can focus on a "totally redesigned" car. Example: F**d T-Birds canned a few years back only to come back recently, also Merc. Cougar...same story. GM is no stranger to this tactic. I believe if GM decides, if at all, to discontinue the Chevy Camaro, it won't be too long before a "new and improved" version is unveiled to a Camaro hungry public. It has been said "absence makes the heart grow fonder", this would definitely be the case for all of us who love our Camaro's. Just an opinion from one enthusiast to another.

SIMON
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 03:51 AM
Tech Team

Question

602 1967 Zapper's is the number that is quoted in Camaro history books, (Camaro A to Z/28) but if I remember correctly, 1,000 was the miniumum required Z/28 models to come off the line to meet the SCCA rules. Obviously they were short that quota so maybe they just kept bringing the already built Z/28's around the plant again and counted them twice? Oh wait, that's another story.....
If anyone has any more news on the 35th edition 302 in the future, please keep us (me)informed much apprieciated, (yah I'm thinking about it)

thanks
jb
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 00, 04:09 AM
Tech Team

I think the biggest issue in retaining the Camaro should be what will GM actually do to it. I am not a big fan of the 3rd or 4th gen camaros because I feel they went away from the roots of a production muscle car. To me that is the true essence of the older camaros. Rear wheel drive, and at least a 350 and use technology to improve handling and comfort inside the car. I really feel if GM would get back to the true roots of the Camaro it will find a gold mine. Chrysler figured it out and have been successful. Lets see Gm get with the enthusiasts and find out what we really look for in a car. It certainly isnt front wheel drive.

I cant drive 55......!!!

------------------
Scott

74 Camaro with a 73, bored 350. Wishin it was a 427.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode