1.6 ratio rocker ams - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

I want to up the HP a tad by adding 1.6 rocker ams to my stock 305. Is there anything that i'll run into. Like would i need to put in new valve springs or push rods. Or will this just be a direct bolt in.

Will a Hight Torque starter fit in my Camaro. i have exhaust manifolds on my motor. 305. I was told i need a high torque starter because I can not advance my timming any more than 10 BTDC or i'll just crank over way to hard. Thanx

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 04:32 AM
Tech Team

well i know for sure youll have to get the clearances checked. you may just wanna go with some good 1.5 rockers, like harland sharps or something like that. they should just be able to bolt on though you may wanna use hardened push rods
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech

all push rod's are hardned. i wish you guy's would look that one up, the info is here on the board just search for it.

when you jump to 1.6:1 rocker's you need to check clearnces for the push rod's and the vavle spring's need to beable to handle the lift. you also need to check the clearance on the valve guid to spring at the lift you will have with 1.6:1 rocker's.

here is an example of what happen's with a 1.6:1 rocker and a 1.5: rocker. gross lift on a cam with a 1.5 rocker is say .474" if you put a 1.6 rocker on you will have .503" gross lift. you get approx. a 30% incres in lift with a 1.6 over a 1.5. you will also get a longer duration of the valve beeing open. in other word's a 1.6 rocker will make a cam look bigger then a 1.5.

IMHO i like to use 1.6 rocker's on the exaust vavle's as most head's are a bit weaker on the exaust side. but some people like to use them on the intake side only. other people like them for both. it depend's on the cam and head's and what they flow at the lift involved.

just puting 1.6 rocker's on will not alway's make a motor preform beter. you need to do the math and see if it will help you out first.

you need the lobe lift of your cam, the duration and the flow #'s for the head's you have and see if on paper it will help or hurt you.

i know the mag's like to sa "fast cheep weekend bolt on power" but the fact is it will not alway's help. and can cost you more than you had thought.

to clreance the head's you will need to remove then as drilling and machineing might be needed. the mag's never say that do thay.

to cut down vavle guid's cost's about $30.00, if you strip the head's, if you have them do it add about $30.00 to the cost. you will need new vavle seal's, say depending on the type you have $20.00 to $50.00. to clearance the push rod guid's you will need a tool that cost's about $30.00, or have a machiene shope do it and it will cost you about the same as the tool. you will all so need new head gasket's at about $15.00 each., intake gasket's set $20.00. maybe exuast or header gasket's say about $10.00 to $25.00 depending on what you need. all this plus the cost of the rocker arm's and maybe vavle cover gasket's.

i hope i have not missed anything....and i hope i have given you something to think about before you just theink it is a bolt on upgrade. i have given the worst case idea here as i do not know what you have. IMHO on a 305 i would not do this, i would save my $ and build a 350 and drop it in. and depending on the mileage on the 305, if it is hie milage just wait and build a 350. change's like this to a high mileage motor can kill it!IMHO

yes a hi-torq starter will fit a 305.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 04-13-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode