302 Z Question - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sunday, I was at Moroso and they had their Hot Rod Sunday car show. There was a ton of 1st gens there. One was for sale and was listed as matching numbered. I was looking at the exhaust on the car and noted something I had never seen before. On the driver side exhaust manifold there was a bracket attach to two of the bolts. There was then a cable running from this bracket to under the fender well. It probably connected to the frame or upper suspension peices. Looked like a "factory" engine hold down. I was just wondering if it was original or not, because I had never seen one before.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 03:48 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

That sounds like the correct bracket. It was used to counteract engine torque to keep the engine from twisting too much on its mounts. If I'm wrong on this, someone let me know.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes being restored
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 04:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
That was installed as part of a Recall.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech

Clill is right; those were installed on a recall as a cure for defective engine mounts. I just can’t remember the date…
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 06:35 AM
DelGratta

Dang! Wish I'd known that cuz last summer we had to replace my drivers side mount. (It wasnt as easy as I thought it was going to be... a lift sure woulda helped.) Had I known about the recall, I would have brought it down to the local dealer and let them do it. (haha)

------------------
Dan
My 68 RS Convertible 1 My 68 RS Convertible 2
My Web Page
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

I had those on my 69 SS396. I believe mine were looped around each exhaust manifold, then went down and around upper control arm somehow. I took them off long ago when I put a 350 in the car before I restored it. They may have been bolted to the exhaust manifolds, I can't remember. I'll have to go out and look for the parts, I think that I still have them somewhere in my garage.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Back in 1969 I got a recall from GM. I took the car in and they installed the cables. I was really upset with the fix. I thought they would have put in beefier motor mounts. All they did was intall the cables. The next week I put headers on and they were gone. I only wish I had kept the manifolds, smog equipment. Can you imagine I left them in my storage garage when I left it. I can remember them hangin on the wall. Duhhh.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech
John

It was a recall item. Basically it's a bracket that bolts to two holes of the exhaust manifold and a cable with 2 eyelets that wraps around the upper control arm. The eyelets then return to the bracket and a pin inserts through the eyelets and out the other side. Then a cotter pin holds the pin in place. I was told by judges to leave it off. I wanted to install it anyway, but couldn't get it to fit right (the cable was bending funny) so I left it off.

John
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 09:27 AM

While you are on this subject i have a question for ya all. A friend of mine claims his dad had a 67 camaro with a 454 in it(not original stock or anything). But my question is he said that he had so much torque that he was always breaking motor mounts, so he chained down the engine. Well suppsively(not sure if thats a word) he was breaking the chain and motor mounts. is that anywhere near possible, with a streetable motor? seems a little far fetched for me. thanx Jon

'69 RS/Z28
'89 Bonneville SSE
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 01, 03:14 AM
Senior Tech

Heck yea, I once busted the mount in Dads ole 68 chevy pickup with the monstorous 250 6 cyl in it, the old type mounts were held together by rubber and once the rubber started seperating, it was fan shroud time

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 04:22 PM
Team Member
John

The cable was the field fix for separated motor mounts (this was before the "interlocked" motor mount design went into production, which was the final production fix); this was, at the time, the biggest recall in GM history - if the mount separated, the engine rolled to the right and jammed the throttle linkage wide open. If you have the original pre-recall non-interlocked motor mounts and no cable, would probably be a good idea to replace the mounts with the newer interlocked type.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode