Motor Mounts/Clutch Linkage - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Question

I swapped a 427 BB into my 69 Camaro years ago and now that I am older (and supposedly wiser) I'm finally tearing the car down for a restification. My question is that when I dropped in the Big Block I kept the same motor mounts and clutch linkage (small block). I was going to order new ones, but I notice that there are motor mounts for small/big blocks as well different clutch bellcranks. Does anyone know what the difference is between the sb/bb parts and if I change to the bb parts will I have to change anything else? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 12:53 PM
Senior Tech

I am pretty sure that u will need to change out the mounts that mount on the frame from BB to SB....the mounts that mount on the block should be the same as well as the clutch linkage..i am sure that if i am wrong, someone will steer u right
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
William

You will need 69-specific bb frame brackets. 67-68s are designed for the non-interlock mount. The brackets offset the engine about 1" to the right; you will also need the bb manual trans crossmember. You can re-drill the one you have. The heater core is different and mounts with the hoses to the left requiring modifications to the cover. The z-bar or cross-shaft is about 5/8" longer than sb and is repo.

Also different for bb is the radiator, shroud & bracket, shifter mounting plate and rods, male throttle link, oil pressure line, power brake hose, battery cables.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 05:28 AM

I have a similar problem with a 454 Generation V engine in a 69 Z-28. I have made it through the engine mount and heater core/radiator problem but the Clutch linkage is possing a problem. Does anyone know the difference between the big block clutch linkage and small block clutch linkage?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
William

The z-bar is 9.0" on sb; 9.625" bb. Most bb used 11" clutch; can't mix release forks.

Are the Gen V blocks drilled for pivot ball?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Clutch linkage is different, to be correct, but it appears to me that either would work. If not, the linkage is avialable for 20 bucks or so. Big issue is the relocation of the motor 5/8" to the pass. side. That throws off the cross member, shifter bracket, shifter linkage. Also requires longer Z-bar.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Forgot to mention, B/B engine brackets are still available from Chevy dealer--50-60 bucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode