Stalling when put in gear - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Just dropped in a fresh rebuild (all casting numbers match for a Jan'67 350 block / heads / intake / distr / Qjet) bored 40 over - roller rockers - mild cam (280) - 2.02 valves.

Runs FANTASTIC (idle 1050 / timed to 12 BTDC)

I was trilled to death! - then I jumped into the car - dropped it into reverse - [email protected]#$% stalls. (stock powerglide)

What am I missing? Looking for suggestions to check (vacuum hooked to Intake Manifold with power steering booster vacuum)

HELP!!!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

Talking

Mine does the samething when it's cold,dies when i put it in gear.It's a gm-454/425hp, and it has to warm up for a minute or two.after that when the motor temp gets up to 160 or so, were off and running and haul A$$ !
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Nope - idles in the driveway for a half an hour - rev's up real good - drop into gear - goes in the toilet.

Also - carb is off engine I pulled and was running fine on old engine.

But keep the suggestions coming.....

Steve

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

What's the duration of the cam @ .050? 280 advertised may not work well with a stock convertor (I'm assuming that's what you're using).

Jody
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 06:11 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Sounds like too much motor for the torque converter.. You can try to over come some of this with a little carb and ignition tuning. I found a little more inital timing and the idle mixture just a little rich helped some. You might also want to play with ported (no vacuum until throttle cracked) vacuum as well as non-ported (sucks at idle) for your vacuum advance.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 07:36 PM
69 Man

You need a stall converter to run this. You could turn the idle all the way up, but you would really jerk going into gear. You will also notice poor performance down low. I bought a 77 Chevy 4x4 that had a stock flat top 350 with a 280 Magnum Comp Cams camshaft. I would have to put it in neutral at a stop sign, then as I was taking off, I would put it back in drive, and it would jerk pretty severely. I replaced it with a Crane Fireball II cam and it idled very smooth, and had very good low end, and you could leave it in drive. I am not saying switch cams, just adding at least a 2000-2500 rpm stall converter, should take care of your problem of stalling in gear.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 01, 09:48 PM

Hmmmm... What if you turn the idle down to 750/800 or so? I am just wondering if the idle speed may be high enough so as to engage the torque converter prematurely, but not high enough to avoid stalling. Does it die fast, like if you pop the clutch on a manual? Or does it kinda jerk, gargle and fade?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 01:46 AM
Senior Tech

That idle speed sounds too high to me...even with a 280 cam. When you say "280" cam, do you mean 280 comp cams, or something else? Even the 280 magnum will idle down to 800-850 rpm idle. Check for vaccuum leaks...this can cause the same problems you describe...and if there is a leak then the engine may not idle under 1000 rpm. Have you set the idle mixture screws for max idle vaccuum? Even if the carb came off of a running engine, the settings could be way off for your combo. The convertor could also be too tight, especially if it is a big block unit, and causing the car to die in gear. Hope this helps.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 04:19 PM
hideaway

i know all you guys are probaly right, but i thought i would throw this in. a few years back i put a c-4 in for a friend of mine and just as soon as you put it in gear boom motor chokes down[stock 289]. well he had gotten the trans at the junk yard[heaven], come to find out it had been sitting awhile and we were told the clutches were stuck. anyone ever had this problem, they got him another tran and it did fine.just thought i would pitch this out there.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Took my trusty propane and checked for vacuum leaks - none

will crawl under car tomorrow night or Saturday and check at the modulator.

Took car on a road trip to the gas station tonight.... about 2300 rpms engine calms right on down and drives real nice - lot's of power - shift is much later than previous... at a steady cruise it won't upshift until 3500+ rpms....

can't drive slow (oh well!) - labored - sputtering....

Thinking it MUST be torque converter....(looks like I get to write another check!)

I've only played with stock engines before - so this is a learning experience (like I needed one of those!) - As far as I was concerned the torque converter was a magical part that did "something important" - now I'm learning how important....

Thanks for all of the suggestions - If anyone has others - I'm all ears....

Steve

P.S. - Jody - It's a Comp Magnum 280 - duration @.050" is 224

[This message has been edited by Dobek (edited 03-22-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode