Were cowl hoods an option on a 69 rs/ss 350 car? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Well my car I just bought has a cowl hood (rusty) on it and I wasn't sure if the original owners added it years ago or if maybe it was original. I could not find the build sheet or POP to find out all the option numbers. This car has console gauges, tach, woodgrain dash console and wheel, PS, PDB, Pwr Top, deluxe interior so that is why I thought maybe it was original. I am a 67-68 man and do not know much about 69 so all the help I can get would be great. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 12:25 PM
Tech Team

Here is a quote: "The regular production option(RPO) ZL2 special ducted hood first became available on Pace Car, Z28, Super Sport, and COPO 427 camaros in Jauuary 1969.

So if your car is a Super Sport RS I suppose it could be original since it was a option.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 01, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

Wink

I owned a '69 RS/SS 350 that was a factory cowl hood (ZL2 Special Ducted Hood)car. It was a late built highly optioned car. I wish I had it back. I verified that it was factory installed by speaking to original owner. Look for factory wiring for it coming thru firewall above main wiring harnesses.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

'85 Z/28, 355 TPI w/ Crane Compu-Cam 2040, Crane adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 22# Injectors, TPIS Airfoil, K&N filters, Hypertech ThermoMaster Stage 2 Chip for '85 Vette, 160 Degree Thermostat, DynoMax Cat Back Exhaust, Rebuilt/Updated 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.23 posi rearend.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

It was a May 1969 Built car. It has the hood but no wiring or sign of the cowl air cleaner setup. Would it for sure have the wiring and cowl air cleaner setup? If i can not find proof of any of these I will put the SS hood on it then. THANKS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 04:42 AM

If it came with the hood it would have the air clear with it and the wiring to. Look to see if gas likeg rod at the firwall has a bracket made on it for the switch to open the duck on the back side of the hood allso is this door still there if not the hood was put on by some one not the factory.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 01, 08:44 AM

Camaro68luvr:
I think Tim "meant" to say:
Check the throttle arm on the engine compartment side. Cowl induction cars had a unique version of it and & it's unlikely that someone changed it out unless they were specifically stripping the cowl induction off that car. Look to see if it has a welded-on tab/bracket with a 1/2 inch (approx) hole in it. This is where throttle/detent switch mounts. If there's no tab, the car probably did not have cowl induction.
Most of the Camaro parts catalogs have pictures of the bracket or drawings of the entire assembly.
The wiring for cowl induction comes out of the engine side firewall at the extreme edge of the drivers side...not far away from the hood hinge....a pink and a brown wire if I remember correctly. It still be there stuffed in behind the brake booster.
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode