turbocharging - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Well I was going to install the LT-1 but then the idea of turbocharging my car came into my mind. I know i only have a 3.1 liter v-6 but I think i might want to just modify and turbocharge it. How would i go about doing this to my engine, do i need to get new parts to support the power of the turbo charger in my v-6 any help is appreciated thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Also if you could give me a rough estimate at how much this is gonnna cost me it would be nice thanks agian
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
John

I would think that in the long run it would cost more than swapping in the V8. Can't give you an exact price though.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 01, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech

You could go with twins or a single but the single would require more duct work. I'd go with twins and you could always swap them into a V8. Cost is probly $3500 plus headers for good intercooled ones. Get the ones that are self oiled too. ATI Procharger says they can double your power. Get the best up front since second best is only like $500 less. You can always change pulleys for less boost and definitly get the best intercooler they got.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

$3500 dollars, pretty much the same as getting a v-8 engine put in my car I guess Boodlefoof was right I thought it would of been cheaper b/c for the two turbos and all the accessories and **** on them it would cost me 1,000-1,200 Man 3500 geez I dunno what to do put in a v-8 or twin turbocharge my car, what should i do?!?!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 02:24 PM
Jeff

Put a nicely built Big Block and add a Procharger to that and have fun
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

IMHO, with $3500 you could build one heck of a small block...or spend as much on a couple of turbos and have headaches. I had a buddy in college (one of those weird engineer types ) who decided to turbo his Mustang 5.0. Admitted, he did use a Chrysler turbo and household plumbing fittings from Home Depot, the thing was way hard to tune and ran into alot of compression, boost, timing problems, etc. I'd say the difficulty level is WAY up there.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 03:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

I think, and my best recomendation to any person willing to convert a non turbo car into a forced induction one is; If you have to ask how it works, how much hastle, how much it cost (custom made) or how difficult they are to tune, then it's better for you to spend your money in a low mileage LT1 together with its corresponding transmission and computer. That way you are going to end with a car you don't have to worry much about driveability and other stuff. It's better to convert a car to turbo if you know how it works, that way you don't have to pay anybody to tune it, you need to know if it's running lean, rich, spark plugs (cold, hot), timming retard, cool down etc. etc. Remember this is just my sincere opinion, if you find a reliable company who sells you a kit for your car with an expected or guaranty durability of around 75K miles, don't hessitate to purshase it, just make the necessary contacts for the installation in case you don't have the facilities to do so. If you are mechanically skilled ignore about 40% of what I have said. Good luck...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech

ORENCH has some good advise I'd second that one. A good intercooled twin set-up will cost as much as a good engine but it will also give you another engine so to speak. Double your power is what it's about.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

yea, I think I'll take my chances finding a v-8, wanted a good lt-1 but not sure, unlike all you other guys that have money hangin out the ying yang, I'm pretty short on money so I doubt I'll get a lt-1, does anyone have any good 350's out there that i could buy for less then $2,000 complete and modified a bit?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech

If the idea of a turbo 6 still appeals to you, what about a Buick V6 like the ones in the Grand National? GM put one in a third gen firebird, the 20th anniversary TA. This car did 13.5 out of the showroom.

I don't remember what they had to do to make it fit, or which auto trans it came with, but it shows it can be done, and that the parts to do it were made at one time. If you decided to do it, at least you would have a factory model to use as a blueprint for the project.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech

92RS
I'm a broke fool too. I think GM has a 350 for $2000 or under. I know for sure you could get an auto zone/auto parts store remanufactored one for under $2 grand. I think they're about $700 if you got a core if not I think most have a $250 core charge which isn't too bad. For a little extra cash you could put on extras or maybe just get a block without heads and put some better ones on than they'd give you.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks I think i'll do that if i can't sell my car because I'm thinking about selling my car and buying an '87 iroc-z 5.0 in town but thanks for the input.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

If anyone wants to buy an 1992 25th anniversary Camaro RS with a 3.1 litre v-6 with 100,000 miles and an automatic overdrive transmission very good shape in and out with a metallic blue 25th anniversary paint job and runs great! you can contact me by my email [email protected] or by phone 1712-343-6793 I live in southwest iowa would like to sell car for $5,000 or best offer thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode