straight pipe exaust - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

i live in CA, i was thinking of putting straight pipe exaust in my 68 camaro cause my cousin told me it would improve performance, but some body told me it was illegal is this true? and if not how would this exhaust system help improve my cars performance? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 01:06 PM
Tech Team

The factory exhaust setup was poor from a breathing standpoint. Even the dual exhaust cars had to wheeze through a single muffler behind the axle. It was designed like this to save space, as the cars are very low to begin with. I think your friend may have been thinking of that factory set up. However, I would think that straight pipes would definately be illegal, but there are many options out there. Check out some of the performance shops, there are small mufflers you can use to give you true dual exhaust, while not giving up much ground clearance. Then you can ditch the original cross flow muffler.

------------------
67 RS Convertible, 327/210hp
Granada Gold, deluxe interior (black), 4spd. all stock
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
John

By straight pipe, do you mean with no mufflers. No mufflers is illegal. Look at Flowmaster, they have some nice dual exhaust kits that will pick you up a little power over stock.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 05:13 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Dynomax is getting a great rep. Good sound and no et loss vrs. open headers in several tests... About the only thing I can think of that straight pipes are good for is holding it in first to 6K and taking your foot out of it!! Rapity, pop, pop, popity pop! Good way to wake up the neighborhood on a sat morn....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 01, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech

Wink

I say go for it! Straight pipes will make you very popular...your neighbors will love you, the local police will love you, and your town can get those much needed road repairs, city official pay increases, etc. from all of the tickets you will be getting!
Seriously though...not only are straight pipes illegal but most cars I have heard with them sounded like crap. If you want loud and obnoxious, at least get a set of short glasspacks and duals...at least they are still legal in most states. Otherwise, you can have a quiter, but still healthy sounding exhaust by using the aftermarket muffler of your choice with a set of dual pipes. They will definately improve performance over the stock setup and give your car a meaner sound, even if the engine is bone stock.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

[This message has been edited by travis (edited 03-22-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode