RPM - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 01, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Question

Right now I have a stock bottom end in my SB 350, I shift at about 6000 RPM. I want to re build it with more guts. What do I need to do as far as the short block to be able to rev up to 7500?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 01, 02:59 AM
Senior Tech

Larger duration Camshaft with more lift, and a higher compression ratio. although the compression ratio is not really required it does help. but this also depends on the head choice, are they ported? what intake, carb ,etc..

but the camshaft would be a good start, that and a 2800-3500 stall converter if you have a Automatic.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 01, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

I am runing 1.94 cammel humps with a desent port job, a victor JR. intake, and a holly 650 double pumper. I was wondering more about crank and rods. I want something that will last.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 01, 07:26 AM

Get a good steel crank, should be able to find a used for for about $100-$150. Have it checked and polished. Then a good set of Stage II rods will be the next step, and put the bottom end togther with the ARP Wavelock bolts. ARP has set the standard in bolts, and recommend them to anyone. Worth the extra cost. The heads you have proabably won't flow that well that high. A good set of Dart Iron Eagles or Sportsman II's would be nice. Do a little on the port work,expecially on the exhaust side on the Sportsman's.Cam,look for a larger one with quit a bit of duration,like the Comp XE284 or Comp Magnum line.With the Vic Jr. and a true 2.5" dual exhaust, you should have a great runner. That also will need deep gears and a decent stall to utilize that package.

Good luck and happy building!

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker

[This message has been edited by Tracy Focht (edited 02-07-2001).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 01, 11:38 PM
Senior Tech

I would first try out a better carb or modify that one for more cfm. I know that's my engine's problem at the moment.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks fo the help guys.
What stall converter and gears?
Right now I have a 2500 stall and 3.90 gears.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 01, 09:38 AM

Firebird,
Since you have them gears, you will probably be ok. But I would go up in stall to 3000-3200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode