2in Carb spacer + 14in chrome chevy air cleaner +cawl hood =problems - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just bought a 2in carb spacer and put it on my Preformer RPM intake manifold and tried to close the hood and my air cleaner is catching on the back half of the oval cut in the hood for the cawl induction. I measured the opening in the hood it is 15in ID and the air cleaner is 14in so it should fit but it dosen't. It catches just bearly on the back half of the cawl lip closest to the driver when ur in the car. I was just wondering if any of u had run into this problem and had any suggestions. I don't want to change air cleaners and I love the new spacer it made me churp em in 2nd gear! The car sounded meaner and ran alot better with the spacer. My time is short cause I am taking the car to New Jersy on fri and i want everything to be right before I go.. If i have too I will cut the opening in the underside of the hood a little to make it fit but I am hoping i don't have to do that. The vertical height is fine it is just the lip of the cawl when the hood goes down and it only catches by an 1/8 in or so. The hood will close but it looks all jacked up on one side.. it sits higher and that just won't due. Thnks for ur help guys!

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 01:39 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
How tall is your air cleaner element?

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the height of the air cleaner element is 3in
and it is a K&N the height is not the problem it is how it fits in the circle cut in the hood. it wouldn't matter if i had a smaller element ....

------------------
69 Camaro RS, 355ci mild cam, Preformer rpm intake, edelbrock 600 carb, 350 turbo w/ shift kit 2500 stall, 10 bolt 2.73 any more questions ask

[This message has been edited by 69CamaroRacer (edited 05-23-2001).]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 02:00 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Well you wouldn't want a shorter element anyway! Think about what you said! Height makes all the difference in the world. At least if it fit before the spacer.. The real problem is the angle of the hood in relation to the lid of the air cleaner. When it was lower without the spacer the angle was flatter when the hood was closing.. I would switch to a 1" spacer before cutting a steel cowl hood. It's your 2 choices as I see it!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 03:57 PM

Yea, I ran into this very problem using basically the same combo as you ( I have a Scorpion intake and a 2" spacer) last year. Until the hood is fully closed it isn't centered over the carb. Actually from what I could tell by closing the hood with air cleaner off and crawling under the car with a flashlight and looking up through the engine compartment it(the round opening in cowl hood) never is quite centered properly over carb. The only way to solve this problem without butchering your hood (DON'T do it) is to change to a smaller diameter air cleaner. I went from a 14" to a 10" and moved up from a 3" height filter to a 4". I believe K&N makes a 11" diameter housing. The taller element is better for airflow so you won't lose any performance with this set-up. You will need to measure your particular set-up to see exactly how much cearance you have in order to put the tallest element you can in. I did it like this: I taped a locking tape measure to the air cleaner retainig stud in my carb (obviously with the air cleaner element off) and pulled out 12" of tape sticking straight up. The locking mechanism on the tape will keep it from sliding back in on its own. Then I SLOWLY closed the hood fully until latched. Then opened the hood and wherever the tape was at was exactly how much clearance I had to the top of the hole opening in hood. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by b-boy (edited 05-23-2001).]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 01, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Are you running a drop base air cleaner?

If not perhaps you can use an offset HEI air cleaner base. This moves the air cleaner into the center of the opening for most dual plane small block intake manifolds. You can see a picture of the base on my webpage. It's welded to the bottom of the cowl air cleaner. Read the notes about Holley carb fitment.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 01:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

CarlC has exellent info on his web. I've learned alot. Personally, 2" seems like alot for the spacer. Car Craft did an evaluation not too long ago. Very interesting. The offset is what's killing you. I have a 4" K&N on a performer rpm with no problems
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 03:20 AM
Tech Team

Hey guys,
What is the benefit of the spacer? I'd love to hear a chirp in 2nd gear with my 2:73. Is taller (2" vs. 1") better?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 03:57 AM
Senior Tech

Mine has the same problem, I'm using a 4" element and a performer air gap intake. Right now mine just hit slightly, so what I did was put a bend in the bolt that holds down the air cleaner lid. The bolt is straight were it enters the carb and where it goes throught the lid, but the bend in in middle, the bend off-sets the bolt about 3/8". With the bend in it, when you tighten the stud down it shifts the top of the air cleaner lid around, I just tighten the bolt down until it shift it in the opposite direction of where the lid hits the hood. It doesn't change the apearence of the air cleaner either. It's a simple fix that may work for you, I just hope in made sence, it's kind of hard to explain, but would be simple to show. I plan on adding a nitrous plate eventurally which will cause the problem again, then I plan on making an off-set air cleaner base.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Knapp,

The idea behind a carb spacer is to get the volocity of the air/fuel charge moving as fast as u can before it inters the motor.. The main reason behind why i did it is i wanted to get my air cleaner to stick up into my cawl opening in the hood... to be fair i have had a brand new trans with a shift kit and 2500 stall put in... but it never would churp em in second gear until yestarday... so i guess it really helped

------------------
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

MarkM,

I just wanted to say thanks for the advise it was the cheapest fix.. it only cost me 63 cents for a stud from the hardwear store .. It isn't perfect but it will do. I am about 95% happy with the way the hood looks.. it sure beats cuttin on that hood !! The hood is propped up just slightly but i don't think anyone else could tell but me .. Thanks for your help guys !!!

------------------
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech

Talking

Glad to hear it worked for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode