Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Do the exhaust tips on a '69 come straight out? I think '67/68 actually point in and down a bit (when looking at the rear) I'm not sure!! The ragtop is going to the muffler shop on tues. and I would like to give the apearance of factory duals...

Thanks,

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech

Yes they point straight back. My 68 they point down at an angle toward the rear and sit half way between the gas tank and the quarter panel. They really look like all they would need is another bend and piece of striaght pipe and they would exit like a 69.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr brakes,pwr windows,Hounds tooth,355/T350,3200 stall Dynamic converter,3.31:1 posi,Autometer guage pod
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 08:25 AM

Don't forget to cut the teal pipes on a 45 about 1/2 way down on the ends.

TIM

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech

Dennis,

You and CA420 are right.....69 tips come straight out the back between the leaf spring and quarter panel. IN 67/68, the pipes dumped down towards the ground between the leaf springs and quarters, only extending about .5-1" beyond the quarter panel. My car had 69-style duals that dumped straight out the back of the car when I got it. It never looked right. I put the Flowmaster American Thunder system on my car that dumps the pipes in their stock 67 location, and the car looks so much better from the back!!! You can't see any exhaust pipes from the back of the car.....in my opinion, the shape of the back end of the 67 does not lend itself to having pipes coming straight out. However, I think they look cool on the 69 back end.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

http://156.143.134.136/default.htm
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
So does this look correct... http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M...fd/i-4_B_L.JPG

or this.. http://63.175.115.160/cars/69CAMAROZ28/DSC00554.JPG

and here is a 3rd... http://members.aol.com/bbrad24tb/69camaro/Mvc-006s.jpg

I don't think I have seen them cut at a 45 unless it was a welded on tip. Were the factory tips actually cut at an angle?

Thanks for the input guys!!

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 08:56 AM

I don't think they are right. Look in the Rick's First Gen catalog. (Page 196.) There is a slight bend to the outside.

It is my belief, that most bend jobs replace the slight rake with more of a straight back to get the full dual system look. Please don't trust my opinion on this, meaning please do more research, but I'm the first vote for, no, not quite right.

Rick O'Loughlin
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech

I agree that the pictures don't look quite right. I think the polished tips I've always ever seen on a 69 were always cut at an angle, but don't quote me on the correctness of that. I believe the correct 69 exhaust actually bends around the leaf springs so that the tips exit basically underneath the back of the springs, like the picture of the exhaust on Page 196 of Rick's Catalog (but keep in mind that I'm not well-versed in '69 restoration details - more of a 67 guy). Also notice the angle-cut tips.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350 clone

http://156.143.134.136/default.htm
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 09:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Dennis, the Flowmasters tailpipes I ordered for my 68 came complete as if they were going to be installed on a 69, that to cover from 67-69 models. We cut them where they are supposed in 67-68 but the original lenght didn't have the 45 cut, maybe they were supposed to be cutted for 69 also cause they looked too long at the end. Any way for $99 you can have perfect mandrel bent tailpipes in 2" or less.

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 05-24-2001).]
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 09:30 AM

Yes the were all cut on the 45 like the crome tipes I will send you an e-mail

TIM

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 09:43 AM

Dennis,

Remember I sent you photo's of my car in that Powerpoint file?

The last one shows my exhaust at, what looks like 30 degrees. I had thought the factory exhaust was suppose to be, (on the side view) someplace at 45-55 degrees.

I'll look at some manuals tonight. What about old 1969 GM print ads? I have one here in my office, front view. (Rats.) I once came across an area that had old imagery.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Scoop69RS-SS (edited 05-24-2001).]
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
frank

Tim is right. On page 7 of Macneishs book it shows his car way back in 1972, the tailpipes are cut on an angle. Djd, on page 38 of the same book there is a print of the three different combinations of exhaust that was used. It shows all pipes with a very slight offset pointing to the outside of the car.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 03:47 PM

I agree with those pics. because there is a guy who has a 69 in my town and its very very close to be correct and his pipes look like that. And all the pics ive seen they come straight out or a very very small angle.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Thanks for all the great input!! Whooo Hooo!! I fired the beast with the new Doug's and no pipes tonight!! Uncorked is AWSOME!! After almost a year of stock manifolds and a funky 2" exhaust my sleeping beauty finally awoke!! What a sweet sound indeed!!

Now that I got that out of the way... The guy that is doing the pipe work said he could do what ever I want out back!! Unless he has chrome ends already cut at a 45 I don't know if I will be able to have them cut. I did find a drawing in my assembley manual that show a side view and gives diminsions and I understand how it turns in. Does it actually line up directly under the leaf spring?

Tim- thanks for the photo! Rick- I remember an email about Freemont and you coming out this way, something about Compaq... I will look for the powerpoint one...

Thanks again!! Now hurry up Tuesday!! It's gonna be a long weekend!!

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 01:50 AM

Yes it does line up with the Leaf Spring most muffler shops have a saw that can cut your pipes off on a 45 for you. One thing about the long weekend you can go out there and lesson to it open and dream. Now I gess I will have to get mine out this weekend and drive it. What What is that a 302 I here. Have a great weekend.

TIM

[This message has been edited by Tim Meredith (edited 05-25-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode