Difference in 70 to 701/2 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hi Everyone! I wanted to know if anyone could tell me the difference between a 1970 and a 19701/2 Camaro if there is one. I was told that all 70's are 701/2 is that true? I thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 06:02 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
GM delayed production of the 1970 Camaro and when all the other new cars came out they kept selling 69's. Because of the late release the 1970 often gets refered to as the '70 1/2..

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Thank You! DjD you answered a question for me that has been bugging me! I am glad I joinned this group. I am sure I will have many more questions in the future. Thanks Again.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Don

DjD, right on! My 70 was built march 16 1970. A few 69's were titled as 70's but I've never seen one. I always thought they were delayed because of a strike...is that true? http://hometown.aol.com/performancespecs/
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech

The cars were delayed because of technical problems, not a strike.

Take a peek at the 69 Camaro, and then look at the 1970 version... I'm not sure what the trouble was, but they showed up late.

Calling a 1970 Camaro a "1970 and a half" camaro causes as much confusion as calling a Rally Sport a "split bumper".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 05:27 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Titles and registration get filled out by hand and when the new model year cars come out months before jan 1st (or in this case after the new models should have been released) it's easy to see how a title could be wrong. To the best of my knowledge you will find no '69 body style with a '70 VIN.

Edit: Where are my manors, Welcome to one of the best automotive sites on the web 70C!! The folks that stop in here are the greatest!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"

[This message has been edited by DjD (edited 05-25-2001).]
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks for all the info and the warm welcome. It is greatly appreciated! I purchased my Camaro from Jerry at Camaro Country in Marshall Michigan last summer after my husband and I took a fun trip through Cincinnati, Louisville, Lexington, and then Indiannapolis one weekend. It was so much fun doing that. I tried calling GM for some info on my car but since I'm from Canada I had to call GM of Canada and they woulnd't get me the info. But by joinning a club like this one I can see that the info I wanted to begin with I can get here! Thanks Again!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 01:29 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

The newer body style for 1970 was announced on Feb 13th 1970 and went on sale Feb 26th 1970 according to the book CAMARO ! Chevy's Classy Chassis by Ray Miller. All camaros up until this were actually 1969 body style

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 05:46 PM
Tony

Re: Difference in 70 to 701/2

[B]I can confirm that the 1970 Camaro was really a 70 1/2. I worked for Roger Pensky in Philaderphia as a parts man and saw the first lead come off the truck. Roger special ordered a 396 SS auto with 4 wheel disc leaded. Sweat ride. We also had several ZL1's, pace cars and RS conv. The big sellers were Monti Carlos and Malibu's. If I recall they gave a reason for the delayed release due to parts and retooling setup delays but I really think it was due to 69 model overstock they wanted to sell off first. /B]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Welcome to the site. Being as no-one has mentioned it yet you might check out the CRG site they answer that question there, although they are primarily about the 1st gen stuff.

http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml

The second Q&A has the answer to the production issues with the 70 camaro.

My 68's resurrection thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 07:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Hey Snopy did you work for the dealer or the rqace team?

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 09, 02:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

This thread is 8 years old !! Snoopy I sure would like to hear more about that 70 with 4 wheel disc brakes...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 09, 04:43 AM
Senior Tech

If you had purchased your Cam in Canada, you'd be able to source the car. Because it was bought in the states as you did, they didn't keep the history on it. Sad but true.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 09, 04:50 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I heard that the reason for delay was due to retooling of the frame and some engine components, being the cowl was "shorter" than the 1st gen.
A cars' design starts with the cowl and everthing works around it. The 1st gen sub frame would not work because the engine was too high and no cowl hood was in the offering, so all that had to be redesigned. Also they wanted the wrap around rear window in the 70 but could not get it designed in time so it came a few years later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode