About ATI Procharged Superchargers - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I have a 69 Big block (468 cu. in.) and I just purchased a D-1 supercharger from ATI Procharger. Just came today, man is it cool!!! My question is, who has someone they would recommend to talk to me about carbuerated chevy engines and ATI centrifuguel superchargers concerning:
Type and best heads;
Compression ratio;
Cam;
Converting my 850 Holley for supercharger;
And anything else I might need to have a heads up about.
Thanks for the help!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 24th, 01, 11:18 PM
Jeff

Witht he money spent for the system, who better to talk to but the ones who built it, talk with and pick the minds of their tech people
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 01:05 AM
Senior Tech

there's a book call "super charging for the street".I think that the name or something close ,it is avilible at any decent book store ,it's a soft back red in color
lots of good info, you'll need a good colling system.
hope I helped some.

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 04:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Chris,

Having been there/done that with ATI, they are not the best people to talk to although they build a good product.

Contact Scott at SD Concept Engineering. (401) 732-4047. Call when you have time to talk as he'll talk your ear off! His company builds blower motors and uses ATI ProChargers almost exclusively. You'll be glad you made the call.

By the way, did you get the self-contained unit (doesn't use engine oil) or the standard D1? The self-contained units drop almost 200 degrees off the intake air temp. Almost like an intercooler and you don't have to run the oil lines from the motor and to the oil pan.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I ran a pro-charged 406 with a carb for years. It's now in a buddy's car and we just got a new carb from Scott for it. Haven't fired the engine yet but the quality looks great and it was cheaper than the modified carb I had on there before.

Jody
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 07:11 AM

I am right there with you. I have a 69 with a 468 and I traded for a p600b ATI. They said that it was a little small for my combo, but I thought it would be a great way to get my feet wet. I will be going through a carb also. I am new to the supercharger route, but it was explained to me that you make your motor as efficient as possible with good heads, the right cam,etc and keep the compression in check and you will make more hp than you can handle. Go to www.pro-touring.com and there is a guy that has his car listed with a intercooled D-2 big block with fuel injection. Has a conservative tune on the motor with 12 lbs of boost and is making 850hp on pump gas. By the way, I will be calling the above for guidence. PK
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 25th, 01, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks, I appreciate all the help!!!

The SC D-1 would be nice, I agree, but, I went with the D-1 with oil lines. It should be okay. I will definitley give concept engineering a call....thanks.

My BIG problem though, I will have, is my compression, see I have 10:1 now, and I don't really want to have to change out the forged pistons since there not even broken in a full year yet. I am hopeing I can go with much bigger heads and use a diffrent size gasket to lower the compression ratio. I will also probably do something with the cam, even though it's a great isky cam for the engine, it is set at 108 center line and I have heard the ideal for superchargers is 110 and higher. I will just have to work out these little problems before I can here the whineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............... ..thanks again for all the help and if anyone else has someone they would recommend or shoot the types of aluminum BB heads they would reccommend, throw me a response, because I consider all opinions...
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode