HEI hookup - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I need some help here. I just got a GM HEI from my step-dad.. only thing good he's done for me but I don't know what I need to do to hook it up right. Right now I have the HEI and the coil but nothing else. Do I need a control module of some sort and what kind of wiring changes do I need to make to make this thing fire? Thanks a lot guys

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 06:29 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Cool

If the HEI is the vacuum advanca type,( Which is what you want)all you need is a switchable Hot lead connected to it. Everthing else is internal. Do not use your old ballast resistor lead.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 08:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

You say HEI, coil and nothing else. Check if it has the 4 pin module, pick up coil, weights & springs and obviously purchase a new rotor and cap kit. You will need a new set of spark plug wires also. For instalation, theres no other ignition as simple to install than an HEI. Just need a good 12 vdc supply to work. good luck.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech

I hope you get better advice than you have so far! No one's told you HOW to do it yet! I had this same "problem" a month or two ago and asked the same question. Got the same kind of answers. And my HEI is still sitting on the bench in my shop. Easiest? Hardly. What's easier than a good ol-fashioned points distributor, matching coil and ballast resistor? One wire from resistor to coil, one wire from coil to distributor. Presto, it works. HEI? Mine has a 3-prong plug that I just can't figure what wires to run to. Good luck to you, I'm just going to stay with the old EASY dependable way for now. Points for-ever!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 02:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Since I don't have a tachometer yet, my HEI just need 12vdc connected to the terminal marked "BAT" on the dist. cap. Thats easy, nothing else, but you have to know where to get those 12 volts. Some people take that supply from the fuse box, others prefer to use a relay and some replace the resistor wire with a normal one to get 12v. I'm also assuming that you "know"
how to install it on the engine... If I were close from any of you, a couple of cold ones would pay for the conversion
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 04:35 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by b-boy:
I hope you get better advice than you have so far! No one's told you HOW to do it yet! I had this same "problem" a month or two ago and asked the same question. Got the same kind of answers. And my HEI is still sitting on the bench in my shop. Easiest? Hardly. What's easier than a good ol-fashioned points distributor, matching coil and ballast resistor? One wire from resistor to coil, one wire from coil to distributor. Presto, it works. HEI? Mine has a 3-prong plug that I just can't figure what wires to run to. Good luck to you, I'm just going to stay with the old EASY dependable way for now. Points for-ever!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

b-boy - You didn't offer any better advise so you shouldn't be so critical of what others offer!!

Do you need instructions on how to find TDC and line up #1 on the cap and rotor? The HEI has a 3 wire connector that plugs into the cap. It can only go one way... Then as stated there are 2 more places on the cap for wires, one for the batt source and one for the tach.

With the points setup you should have 2 batt wires, one comming from the starter that is energised only when the starter is acticated and the other one is a resistance wire that is hot when the key is in the on position. The resistance wire lowers the voltage to about 8 volts. You ned 12 volts for the HEI to work properly. GM used a resistance wire on some models and a resister in series with the wire on others. If you have the resister all you have to do is strap around it. If you have the resistance wire you need to spare it out and run a wire in it's place...

This is all over the forums and a search will give more details than I have provided. It pays to reasearch!!

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm confused.. there's two sets of three wires. one set of three go from the interanl coil to the cap and have nothing to connect to and then there are the other set that come from underneath the cap from the trigger and whatnot. I know what I need to do with the lower set but the three on top from the coil have me puzzled. can I use an external coil and not worry about the internal coil altogether? I hope someone can shed some light.. I know this is a hard topic to describe though a computer. Thanks for trying though..

Tim
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 10:45 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Tim,

The 3 wires on the coil should have terminals on them. The black (center goes under one of the screws that hold the coil in the cap. The red and yellow should have 2 prongs on each. Red goes into the cap and is what the "B+" from the trigger and "BAT" goes to. The yellow goes to "C-" from the trigger and TACH. The coil cover should be labeled...

The coil wires should have the lugs soldered to them and it should be obvious how they plug into the top of the cap right above where the 3 wires go from the trigger... With the coil removed looking at where the 3 wire connector from the trigger plugs in 4 of the 5 connecters won't be there.

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech

i think i have a rather elegant solution-just go to a boneyard and look at cars and see how they are hooked up. that is how i figured out how a bunch of stuff goes together- alt brackets, ps brackets,shifter linkages, etc...i used to spend hours out there on hot, sweaty summer days just looking at how stuff goes together..once you see how it goes togehter, an HEI is a really simple thing to setup.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 12:52 AM
Senior Tech

Once again make sure it has a vacuum advance on the side. It will be a round looking thing protruding from the side with a tit to hook a vacuum hose up to. If it doesn't have this and has an additional wiring connector with a 4 wire plug, scrap it as it won't help you. The 4 wire models are for use on computer controlled vehicles where the cpu controls the advance. I see it time and time again at the shop an older car pulls in for me to set the timing and the carb. When I look the'll either have that style dist. or a quadrajet with the tps and mc sol. on it. wondering why it doesn't have any power and is constantly running rich!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 08:06 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Question

Bedanobub: I hope I spelled that right, lol. Anyway...What is a "tps" and an "mc. sol." I'm just curious.
Thanks,
Donnie
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 08:35 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by novaderrik:
i think i have a rather elegant solution-just go to a boneyard and look at cars and see how they are hooked up. that is how i figured out how a bunch of stuff goes together- alt brackets, ps brackets,shifter linkages, etc...i used to spend hours out there on hot, sweaty summer days just looking at how stuff goes together..once you see how it goes togehter, an HEI is a really simple thing to setup.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually some good advice... You will have to take the coil cover off and remove the coil from the HEI to see what I described above. If the pick and pull doesn't mind you taking it apart. Print what I described (mine was right in front of me when I typed it up the other day) and you will see exactly how I described it.

A picture says a thousand words...

------------------
...Dennis
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode