pertronix / timing - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Smile

hi guys installed a pertronix ignitor in my 69 z28 302. prior to ignitor installation the car ran best at 8B timing. with the timing at 8B now the car has poor performance. if i advance my timing beyond the timing marker to an estimated 26B the car runs very strong. i did have the distributor out during installation. any explanations or suggestions of something i may have done wrong would be appreciated. the pertronix ignitor is part # 1181 the older style
Dave Grover
69 z28 hugger/white
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 08:53 AM
Senior Tech
Daniel

Dave,
I think you may have the distributor off by one tooth.

Daniel

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 2004R (owned since 81)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
http://homestead.juno.com/dakcoffman/
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

thank dan i had thought that would be a possibility, but thought the distributor could only seat two ways or 180 degrees off.
please explain if i'm wrong

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 09:22 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The slot for the oil pump will only align in 2 directions. If you didn't turn the motor over with the dist out and you didn't put a big screwdriver in and turn the oil pump drive your dist will only fit in correctly or 180 deg off.

Get a dial back timing light and and check your total timing. Any chance you forgot to remove and plug the vacuum advance when you checked it? If you are seeing apx 26deg with the vac canister operating that could be 10 or less without vacuum. Same thing when you set it to 8deg it could have really been retarded 8-10 deg....

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks again no i did not turn the engine or pump with the distributor out. also i didn't remove my wires from the cap. when checking the timing the vacuum advance was disconected before and after the ignitor.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 10:00 AM
Tech Team

I also installed the Pertronix ignition a couple months ago. I had no change to my timing setting. I have an all orginal Z28 with the original 302 (rebuilt) and have the timing set at about 14 degrees BTDC with the vacuum hose disconnected.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech

The oil pump drive usually moves when you remove the dist because the dist turns to disengage the cam. If you don't use a screwdriver to turn it back you will usually end up 1 tooth off. If you can time it to #1 it doesn't matter where the dist. ends up. The previous post is probably right unless something real strange is happening.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
Daniel

Dave,
oger is right, when I take mine out the oil pump drive does move and then it is always off by one tooth. It is kind of a pain to get it in the right place, you have to keep putting it in and removing it to get it right. Did you mark the rotor and distributor when you took it out? Before you take it out again you may want to mark it.
Daniel

------------------
67 RS/SS 350 2004R (owned since 81)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
http://homestead.juno.com/dakcoffman/
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks again if i go back to basics bring the enigine to tdc on number one. the rotor is pointing to the number one plug wire. at this point does it matter if the pump has turned during removal if i can read timing off the number one wire
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

yes i did mark it.... maybe not as close as i should have. also the car does run at 14b like georges but it just doesn't feel strong
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech

I wonder if there is a problem with the Pertronix system there sure seems to be alot of posts about problems or is there a trick to the installation that people are missing?

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 04:40 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trezpan:
thanks again if i go back to basics bring the enigine to tdc on number one. the rotor is pointing to the number one plug wire. at this point does it matter if the pump has turned during removal if i can read timing off the number one wire<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find #1TDC before you pull the dist back out it might be correct and you don't have to mess with it.. If the slot for the oil pump isn't correct, the dist won't drop right in..

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 11:22 AM
Team Member
John

The oil pump doesn't care where it is, and the distributor does (in order to locate the advance can properly so it doesn't hit anything when trying to set the timing). Just set the engine at #1 TDC and insert the distributor so the rotor ends up lined up with #1 in the cap and the advance can is in the right position, about 45 degrees right of center; it helps to pre-position the slot in the oil pump drive shaft with a long screwdriver so the slot aims at the #5 intake rocker. The distributor should drop right in if you move the rotor counterclockwise about 45 degrees first; when the drive gear engages the cam gear on the way in, it will bring the rotor back to the #1 position when it engages the oil pump shaft and seats fully on the manifold. You may have to do this a couple of times and alter the position of the slot in the oil pump shaft a little, but it will drop in when everything lines up. Before you drop it back in, put the cap on with a little piece of tape on the outside of the cap marking the outside of the cap at the #1 terminal position, and mark the outside of the distributor in the same place so you know where the #1 final position for the rotor is during the installation.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

thanks john i did just what you suggested and i'm running strong at 14b (as george suggested) i'm glad i have this problem resolved , but still do not what was going on. as you stated oil pump doesn't matter as long as your timing number one plug and the advance can be rotated. i can't understand how the car could be running so well at 26b off number one. i must of had something #@$#%
up. thanks for all help
dave grover [email protected]
69 z28 hugger
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 10:10 AM
Tech Team

Glad to see you got your problem resolved. I forgot to ask if you got the basic system with the magnetic ring of the lobe sensor version? I got the lobe sensor version thinking I wouldn't need to pull the distributor to install it, but ended up pulling it. It is possible to install the lobe sensor version without removing the distribtor, but for an older fart like me I can't get in there close enough to work on it easily. I'm really pleased with my Pertronix ignition.

------------------
George Thomas
1969 Camaro Z28 X77
[email protected]
http://home.cox.rr.com/gthomas/gt.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode