Z28 Tailpipes - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Question

Ok everyone...I have a stumper for you all. Click the link below and tell me if you know what these tailpipes came on.

At little history first. In 1974-79 I had my first Z28 and these very same style tailpipes were on my car. I have a picture, but a digital picture of the original picture doesn't come out clear enough to really see the pipes...but believe me they are the same. If you really want to see the original picture, I can scan it and send it to you that way. E-mail me at [email protected].

This pair I have now I bought from a gentleman that had them on ebay and he claimed that these are from a 69 Z28. I posted on this website and got a few responces stating that the real deals on the Z28's were only chromed at the extensions about 18" and were welded on to...I'm assuming aluminum coated pipes. I e-mailed Jerry McNeish and he told me as well that mine are not correct and chrome didn't show up until May 69 on the tailpipes. I have looked at many of my old magazines and don't you know that you never see the back end of any Camaro in those articles? I am supposed to call Mr. McNeish on monday about this to satisfy my curiosity but until then..what do you all think? These pipes I have are in very nice condition and have lots of paint over spray on them. One has a number 8201337L close to the end that sticks out from under the valance. Also, on my first Z I do remember that both pipes had part numbers on them when I was at the Midas shop getting an exhaust put on the car...I noticed the numbers then.

I'm new at trying to get a link set up on this so please be pateint with me. Thanks and if it doesn't work...how would I go about correcting it? I'm not having any luck after 3 edits. Can anyone get me straight? I'm getting close. I got to the photopoint wesite but no picture was there. Maybe this time. Dennis any help would be appreciated...i'm just a learning fool.

[URL=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/albumindex?u=850233&a=6182136[/URL]

Thanks,
Gary
-----------
1969 Cortez Silver Z28

[This message has been edited by 69Z28 (edited 04-13-2001).]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 01:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Here's your picture:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

I have an NOS pair of tailpipes. The chromed ends are approximately 17 inches, then they are welded to the rest of the pipe that connects to the muffler. They DO NOT have part numbers or any number STAMPED in them anywhere. There is however, a sticker band that has the part, group and date numbers pasted to the non chromed part of the tailpipe. I matched my pipe up with your picture as best as I could. Yours look to have the correct bends but they are missing the weld where the chrome and the regular part of the pipe connect. On mine, 7.5 to 8 inches from the tip of the chrome pipe, the pipe is flattened for 4 inches on the top side of it. I cant see this on yours. Also the ends of the exhaust tips, mine are 45 degree angles, yours look like the are 90 degrees. You may have a replica set of exhaust tailpipes. They are definately not original.

I hope this helps
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech
William

All 1969 Camaros with standard dual exhaust used the same tailpipes. They were aluminized until mid-May 1969 when chrome tailpipes became standard equipment. The chromed pipes were fabricated from 2 pieces, the chromed part being welded to the natural finish portion. I found out why they did this. One OE vendor for exhaust components was Arvin. Their service pipes were exactly as OE except later versions weren't angle-cut. They also had embossed part numbers. I bought the Arvin pipes for my Z/28 and had them completely chromed. They would not fit tighly at the muffler as a result and were always drooping.

A friend in Nebraska commisioned near-perfect chrome tailpipe repros about 5 years ago. They were quite expensive and only a few sets were made.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Question

William...do you think I could possible have a set of the Arvin? These and the ones on my first Z in the early 70's are exactly the same and both have the 90 degree cut. Did you check out the picture link on Jonesy's post? This has got me really wandering.

Gary
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
William

Both OE and factory service tailpipes were angle cut. The Arvin pipes weren't and were also not aluminized. The last set I had did have a hard-stamped part number so it is my guess they are not OE.

The last gennie pair of GM tailpipes I had look exactly as OE; angle-cut and aluminized.

Understand that all auto manufacturers used vendor-supplied exhaust components. The same vendor can offer replacements but sevice parts are almost never the same as the stuff used on the line. Look at the under car photos of the #3 ZL-1. The exhaust pipes are welded to the resonators; I believe the RH tailpipe was welded to the muffler. They were never serviced that way.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
frank

Macneish states in his 69 Camaro fact book the Z/28 package cost of $506.60 in April 69, increased to $522.40 (May-November) was due to chrome tail pipes, soooo from this I guess we can assume correct exhaust pipes should not have chrome extensions until after the May build date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode