Demon v holley - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I am going to buy a new 750 carb I was looking at the holley double pumper for about 350, the demon speed demon is about 450 does anyone think that extra 100 dollars is worth it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 03:50 PM

personally i'd go for the holley and spend the extra money on something else. holleys are very nice, and demons in my opinion arent worth the extra money. my brother has a demon 650 and it has the same features as a holly its just billet machined and looks nice.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 04:17 PM

If it was my choice I'd pick the Demon. Everybody and thier brothers uncle has a Holley. All the magazines Ive been reading are saying the Demon is a real nice carb. Never owned one yet but I am diffently going to get one. Just my two cents.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 01, 04:56 PM
Tech Team

Demon's are pretty packaging with high price.Holley know's carb's,period.As they say "alway's copied,never duplicated".Hp 950 holley's make more HP on the dyno then ANY other carb at twice the price.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 02:53 AM
Senior Tech

I personally know three people who have purchased Demon carbs, and every one of them had problems getting them to run right. This includes the $900+ Polished race demon. All went back to Holley and have been happy ever since. The 950HP is a fantastic carb at a good price. I think Barry sold out to "The Man"

JT
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 03:16 AM
Tech Team

The following is what a local speed shop told me about the BG Demon...

The Holley Street Avenger was a direct, but cheaper copy of BG's Demon. In fact, if you look at the two side by side, like the shop did for me, you can see it. They both have the same features, but Holley's is done cheaper. The sight plugs on the BG are glass...the sight plugs on the Holley are plastic. Can scratch easier. The BG is made of solid billet and carved out of that piece. Holley is cast. The difference? If you look at the venturi and bowls you can see that the BG is much smoother. The Holley is rough. There are other pro's to the BG Demon, but I can't remember. Your best bet is to go to a speed shop that has both and do a side by side comparison.

Personally, I didn't want to spend the extra dough on the BG so I ended up with a Holley. I just wanted to offer up what I know about the BG Demon.

Good luck!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 04:36 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

You guys need to remember why Holley came out with the HP and Avenger series in the first place - they were getting their a$$ kicked by BG and other carb tuners.

Most people didn't want to buy carbs that wouldn't run well right out of the box. It started impacting them where it hurts - on the bottom line - so someone decided to update the tuning. What I like is how they jacked up the price on the new carbs.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
rabid k-9 you were talking to people who wanted to sell you something, of course the more expensive demon is better then holly is what they want you to think, in reality your paying more for the same features, they will both perform better and holly has been around for alot longer. i've heard only good about holly's and not from people trying to sell them to me.
a do not respect the opinions of speed shops in my area (i dont know about yours, i've never been to their shops) becuase the shops in my area are trying to sell me stuff they already marked up the prices way beyond what jegs or summit lists them at and then they want to sell you the "better" item. my last visit to a speed shop was for a mr. gasket engine brush set, the shop wanted $30!!!! jegs sells them for like $10.
i do respect the opinions of mechanics that have been in the business for years.
We all work hard for our money lets get the most we can for it! i think you'll all agree with me on that.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech

Well, here's David Vizard's take on it. He has two articles where he personally tested a Demon carb. Happy reading:
http://motortecmag.com/archives/2001...JUN010301.html
http://motortecmag.com/archives/2001...APR010201.html

I've bought 3 of them. The first one was an old 750cfm Claw carb, then a 650cfm Speed Demon, and now a 975cfm Race Demon. All were great quality, and I've had no problems with any of them. Not to say they made a bunch more power, but I like the tunability, especially with the Race Demon on my drag car. To each his own, I guess.

Shane
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 01, 03:57 AM
Tech Team

Well "CamaroNOTcamero", here's the kicker...

The BG Demon was going for $320.00

The Holley Street Avenger was going for $320.00

The speed shop would have made the same amount of money no matter which carb I bought. There was no motive to push the BG Demon other than that it was a better carb and the shop would have looked like heroes for selling it to me.

As I mentioned, I went with a Holley anyway...not the Avenger. I went with the ol' standby...a 600cfm vac. sec. elec. choke Holley. I didn't want to spend the extra dough. I'm a cheap ***.

I was simply stating what a local speedshop told me. Take it for what it's worth.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 01, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I think that the Speed Demon carbs have four corner idle cicuits, not a big deal on a street car IMO. The Holley has idle circuits on the primaries only, unless you get a top-of-the-line model. I've also heard that the Demons have some minor differences in the main metering circuits (not real familiar with exactly what though). Those are the only FUNCTIONAL differences that I am personally aware of.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 01, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
alright, didnt know about the pricing, i'm just saying how most places like that are going after the money or trying to sell newer "trick" stuff. holleys have been around for a long time, the early z-28's used them and alot of other cars. i dont want to sound like a jerk or anything, just saying what i know.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to nitrous383
Exclamation

Hey,what about edelbrock.The new 800 eps is worth considering.I havent seen any for sale used,wich either means its not sold well new,or people that have them wont sell them.You can find tons of used holleys for sale,and not very many demons.I would go with the demon over the holley if choosing between the 2,Im more of an edelbrcok guy though.I almost bought me a demon carb but I was told the base plates crack,and some people have vacuum leaks that they cant find.I think from what Ive heard(no experience)the demon is a better carb than the holley,and it looks a hell of a lot better too.If your mostly street,not much strip,get an edelbrock.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech

If you want to bolt on a carb and run well, not leak and get good milage get the Edelbrock. If you have alot of free time and like messing with carbs then get the Holley or Demon. I'm running a Edelbrock on my 468 and it runs great no problems. People with there holleys and demons are always telling me about their problems, I say you should have saved yourself some time and money and got the Edelbrock. Now I'm not saying they are the best for race cars, and I might be able to get a little more performance with the other two, but to me it's not worth the hassle.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech

Cody,

I have had BOTH a Holley 750DP and a Speed Demon 750DP on my big block camaro. I have done some pretty extensive testing with both combos on my BB 396 and I can tell you that there is virtually NO DIFFERENCE in the HP output. HOWEVER, the Speed Demon IS more responsive during part throttle operation. PLUS I have not to this point in time gotten any of those nasty accelerator pump gas leakages that the Holleys are notorious for.

Is it worth $100.00 more for the Speed Demon??? To me it is, but to most people it would say it is NOT.

You choose!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode