Increse Power, Chassis Work Nedded ?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 01, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I`m looking at a crate motor for my 67 RS/SS. I curently run a standard 350/220hp slug. I`m looking at a 383/450HP crate motor, is there any thing other than brakes that I should consider doing to the car before I drop this sort of HP in. The car is standard with only disks on the front.

Has any one got any idea what sort of quater mile ET this combo should deliver.??

I apprecate any feedback.

Cheers
Anthony
Aussie 67 RS/SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 01, 05:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I would get some sub-frame connectors. I've got about 550 H.P. and used to launch this car hard without them. Sanding on the car this week I had to go down to metal on 3 paint jobs to get the stress cracks out. They were really bad around the rear quarter window & sail panel area. And I pulled the passenger door to see what I can do to get it to open & close right. I noticed a small tear at the lower hinge in the door.

Brakes are a very good idea, but I would stiffen the chassis up a bit. I'm still not sure at what H.P. level the bodies start to flex, but I have noticed movement on mine, though not bad.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 01, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech
John

even with a low performance V8 the subframce connectors will make a noticible difference in both weight transfer and handling. I have a '68 with a standard 327/210 horse (soon to be something else) engine and putting in the subframe connectors helped my traction problem considerably. It also seems to handle better in the turns.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 01, 11:47 PM
Senior Tech

I agree. You could also consider a rear spring bushing upgrade and maybe even some sort of traction bar system.
On another note, what rear end is in the car and also what transmission are you planning to use. Depending on what type of use your car will see, you might want to look into those areas as well as the U-joints and J bolts that hold the rear end.
Sounds like you plan on having a fun driver. Good luck with it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 01, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys

It`s got a standard 12 bolt with a standard TH350. If I do the transmition up and put a posi in the rear what is the maximum once a week streetable HP do you think I can go to.

Regards
Anthony
Aussie 67 RS/SS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 01, 01:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Don't forget body bushings. You probably should go with solid ones. I have Global West aluminum ones. They don't add any noticeable harshness and will help lock everything together.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode