Electronic ignition suggestion? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Question

I've got a '68 Camaro with an inline 6 and was thinking of running an electronic ignition on it to help smooth it out. It runs good otherwise, and I'll be using it until I eventually put in a V-8. Are those Pertronix units any good? Or maybe a Mallory or MSD box? I'll be switching it over to the V-8 when I swap. The new V-8 will probably be mostly stock with a few mods, so I realize that more performance with the new ignition will probably not be too noticable, but I'm looking for smoother running and better burning anyway... Any experience with any of them? How about Jacobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech

If you don't want to spend alot of money just buy a MSD 6A but if you plan on buliding a strong V8 I would go with the Mallory Hifire V1 very similar to the Digitial 6AL except no expensive chips to buy plus it has a window switch and is cheaper.Like I said for a moderate motor the 6A would be sufficient and you can pick up a used one cheap.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech

the only diferance in a MSD 6A and a 6AL is price, and the 6AL has a rev limiter built into it. the box's are the same except the rev limitor.

i have a inline 250ci 6 banger in my camaro. i have recurched this. you have only 1 realy good alterative to the point's. a GM HEI out of a later mondle inline 6 banger. i do not like the petrox unit's as i have had to replace them too much on fork lift's. in fact this is what they are for. the company wanted to make more money off a cheep poorly desienged system, so they hyped the heck out of it and have made a ton of money.

the petrox system dose not improve perfromance, spark voltage or milage at all. an HEI or MSD set up will, but the MSD can be trigered by the point's or a HEI set up.. i have seen people use a petrox system to triger a MSD box but the point's or HEI work beter. also point's last 100% longer with a MSD box. this is because they see a lot less voltage so do not whare out as fast.

if you get a MSD box you can use it with a V-8, but if you get a 6 banger HEI it will not work with a V-8. if i had the money i would get both a HEI and a MSD box and use the HEI to triger the box. then when i put a V-8 in, use the box with that motor too. but get a MSD distributor to trigger the box on the V-8.

a 6A box is about $130.00. a 6AL box is about $170.00. the HEI is about $20.00 to $50.00 at a junk yard. you will need a MSD coil with the MSD box, the external is the best. it is about $30.00 to $50.00, and a kit to convert the HEI to an external coil is about $50.00. you can use the this coil with a V-8 too.

hope this help's ya out. i do not recomand any other CD box's cept MSD. i have seen them toast out too easy and they are not made as well IMHO.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 04-14-2001).]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 08:15 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

HEI,cheap,and works well.You will have to change the spark plug wires.GM has been using them forever,seldom break,and if it does,parts are easy to find.The E core coil is good for 40-50 thou. volts.Only if you have a badly tuned engine,will it need that much spark volts.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 09:42 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Thumbs up

I use Crane's XR700 Electronic conversion. I use the stock distributer, cap and rotor. No points no condenser totally electronic.

I have had no problems with any of my electronics.

Check it out. http://cranecams.com/ignition1/7003000.htm

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs,
Visit my page!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech

Change to an HEI you would not believe how much better my Nova 6cyl. ran when I put one in. They are almost maintence free I have put one cap on it in 4years.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

So what late model 6-cylinder HEI will work? Is it a drop in, or will I have to modify anything or change gears? Modifying isn't a problem, but what ones are the best? (years, models, etc.) Thanx for all the help so far!!!
Hutch
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech

Mine can out of a 292 truck engine there is a short extension on the bottom that must be removed {take out the pin}the 292 is a taller block. I would suggest that you put an advance curve kit in it{the V8s work} mine must of had full advance about 10,000 RPM

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

HEI is very good and simple to install. If you are interested in a MSD 6A I have one I just removed from my Camaro that I'll sell for $75. There is nothing wrong with it, I just upgraded to the new Digital 6 Plus. I also have the Blaster 3 coil I'll let go for $20. The HEI may be good enough for what you want.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode