velocity stacks and rain? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just dropped my 396 in today. The stock flat hood doesnt look like it will clear the intake/carb combo (holley strip dom./4150 carb.). Because i bought the hood for 25 bucks, i was thinkin of cutting a hole in it and using a velocity stack. Since this is going to be driven pretty much everyday during the summer and will most likely be caught in the rain once or twice. I was wondering if drivng the car with a velocity stack stickin though the hood in the rain would be bad or cause any damage? Sorry if this seems like a dumb ques.

[This message has been edited by jvolk81 (edited 05-26-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 02:57 PM
Senior Tech
AL

Thumbs up

Ever here of water injection?
Al.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech

You shouldnt run it without a filter rain or not. I found a round filter that fit my velocity stacks at a NAPA and made a sheetmetal top for them. Used a long allthread rod and wing nuts. This was years ago so I dont remember what the filters were intended for, but they should be easy to find.

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73- long term project
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88- bottle fed Pete's Nova Page
69 Firebird 400 ragtop- all original

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech

Option #2- Use a regular filter since they flow better anyway and put a fiberglass cowl induction scoop on it. I found a scoop for my Nova at a swap meet for $35.00. An L-88 scoop would look dope too.

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73- long term project
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88- bottle fed Pete's Nova Page
69 Firebird 400 ragtop- all original
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

The velocity stack that i was looking at has an air cleaner element on it. So it should be OK in the rain as long as i have an air cleaner on it? BTW, water injection?????? The bolt on scoop isnt a bad idea either, i just figured id get a few extra hp out of the stack setup.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 02:46 AM

Talking

302XRAM this water injection setup could be a good idea for 2 reasons. 1 is obvious with the fuel prices and 2 it's been raining here on the east coast since last Monday and it's going to rain till Tuesday or Wednesday. Every day it has rained! This water injection setup would have worked well if I had it installed on the 502.
Also curious if it would affect the torque #'s to the rear wheels. I'm currently getting 471 lbs. of torque.
Could you send a diagram over to us to check out incase it rains for another 10 days? You might have a wicked item that could be marketed in these situations.

jvolk81,
Is your car running and on the road?
The Camaro group www.geocities.com/ctfba/(Conn. F Body Association) I'm in is having another
Dyno Day on June 9th at J&M motor sports in Manchester Conn.
The group is for F body cars all years.
It's a Chassis Dyno and runs 80.00 for 3 pulls, 20.00 for air fuel mix test.
They will tweek your carbs also. http://pub23.ezboard.com/fctfbafrm3....icID=653.topic
------------------
502 Bob

69 Z-502
Body by Fisher and Customized by Fisher
www.mobiletools1.com

[This message has been edited by mobiletools (edited 05-27-2001).]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

mobiletools,
I just got temp plates for my camaro on thursday. Ill be on the road in a week or so. Its far from being done, but i just wanna drive my baby this summer.

Besides, it needs a little rubber on the rear quarters.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 09:35 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

If you decide to go with the stacks, heres a tip for wet weather driving I learned many years ago while driving around with no hood or air cleaner...keep a hard hat handy...it makes a fine carb cover in the rain Dont ask me how I know this!

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 28th, 01, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

Hey! Don't let the oil company's find out about this.There was a person in Delaware that develop an engine that run off hydrogen, which is a gas in water.It was in the new's a few year's ago.A friend of mine said he knew the guy.He said after the big new's report the guy & his invention was never seen again.We figured that either the oil company's paid him off, or disposed him.

------------------
NOTHING LIKE A 69 !!!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 29th, 01, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech

kinda funny how water doesn't burn uh!

------------------
stock? 67
hidden 69
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 29th, 01, 09:36 AM
Tech Team

Not that you are looking to buy a new cowl hood but I thought I would confirm the fit. I just installed a 402 with a RPM Air Gap, Holly 750 DB. I have the cowl system on top of the carb and a 4" high 14" dia K&N. The filter runs up into the cowl hood hole and clears the top by about 1/4" inch. Another idea woudl be to cut out a 14 1/2" hole in the hood and then get a get scoops that mount as the cowl set up does (opening in the back). This would eliminate or limit the rain issue.

Just a thought.

------------------
67' Convertible Camaro -"SS Clone Car"
402BB, TH400, 12 Bolt Posi w/ 3:73's
[email protected]
Pennsylvania
Picture Link: http://www.geocities.com/jjknotts/1967Camaro.html
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 10:06 AM
Team Member
John

People have been running engines on hydrogen on an experimental basis for decades, and most fuel cell research is based on hydrogen technology; nothing new there. Unfortunately, it costs FAR more to produce hydrogen than it does to produce equivalent energy-level gasoline, must be stored under extremely high pressure (like 2000 psi), and bulk storage and transport is nearly impossible. No conspiracy involved, just not likely in our lifetime.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 03:36 PM

I ran a velocity stack/open hole in hood many years ago on the street. Two tips: If you are using a paper filter element on top of your velocity stack, once the paper gets soaking wet and dries it will NOT flow air proper. It's allmost exactly like running a plugged (with dirt) filter. Something about the papers density changes after getting wet, then drying. I finally went back to a foam type element and had no problems. I also kept a shower cap in the car to place over the stack when I parked the car in the rain.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

After thinking about the velocity stack more, i think im leaning toward one of the Mr. Gasket Hilborn Style Scoops. It seems like the foam filter would stop any airborne water before it reached the main air filter and the carb. Anyone ever run one of these?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 03:13 PM

Velocity stacks are cool, but do you really need them on your daily driver? I have learned the hard way to be very conservative with my daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode