91 chevy 1500 white smoke - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Question

Hi, I just went and looked at a 91 chevy 1500 scottsdale shortbed,.. with the 4.3 liter v 6 - he's selling it for 4,000 , it has a tiny spot of body rust and underneath it is a little rusty ,. but nothing serious. the thing im worried about is, a little bit of white smoke comes out of the exhaust, i didnt think to smell it,. so im not sure if its antifreeze,- the guy said that chevy trucks tend to have a little white smoke, - other than a head gasket,. what could it be? and what would be most likely,. its not a lot smoke,. just a little,- it runs real good, i'd like to buy it,- i just dont want to find out its something very serious. and just out of curiosity how much would a head gasket cost??-- i think i would be able to put it on myself. thanks for the help.
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

As far as I know, Chevy trucks don't tend to have a little bit of white smoke coming out the exhaust pipe unless they are warming up when it's damp out etc...When the engine is warm, the exhaust should be clear. Check the radiator and the oil. Have the cooling system pressure checked, this will tell the story.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech

Does the white smoke continue after the truck is fully warmed up and has been driven for at least 20 miles? If so, then it probably needs head gaskets. If you are going to replace one, you should replace the other while your already in the motor. Its not that difficult of a job if you can handle an intake swap and can read a service manual.

As far as the guy saying that chevy trucks normally blow white smoke...thats ridiculous. Is the truck on a car lot? It sounds like some salesman BS. Thats like saying camaros always smoke when you start them, or that mustangs always knock until they warm up.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 28th, 01, 05:49 AM

If the truck is an automatic it could be a faulty modulator on the tranny allowing trans fluid to be sucked into the engine (trans fluid burns white)Just remove the vaccum line that goes to the modulator and run it for a while to see if it stops smoking.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 29th, 01, 07:27 AM
hideaway

no modulator on a 91.remember they done away with them so they could use the cable and electronics mess. probably a coolant leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode