Speakers & Stereo For '69 Z11 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I currently have a Kenwood tape deck and radio along with the original factory styled speaker under the center of the dash. I'm not looking to cut into the car but would like recommendations what I can do to upgrade my sound system. I would like a CD Player and much better speaker. Is the dash the only place that the speakers were mounted for this car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 07:57 AM

Danny,

The Z-11 I just bought came with a truck mounted CD player. The radio faceplate has been replaced to include the CD controls, but it still looks good, complete with the Chev bowtie logo. My car's in storage 'til spring so I'm not sure what's been added (if anything) for speakers. It will be one of the first things I check out when I take delivery.

When I bought my first Z-11 back in 1969, I added a tape player (eight track of course) and put speakers in the back seat. I got a pair of high-performance, thin profile ones which I put inside of the area which is covered on the sides of the car by the boot (so as you are sitting in the back seat, speakers were about chest high). If my remember still serves me, they seemed to work fine. I had a switch where I could adjust the sound output between the standard front, and added back speakers.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Doug,

I'll take a closer look at the boot area that you're referring to. I thought about a trunk mounted CD changer but I need to find the actual deck/faceplate that will fit in the dash.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

No there are two other locations for speakers, in the kick panels and in the back of the rear seats.

Both were part of the multiplex option. The ones in the back face up into the top well and are mounted in little cardboard boxes that attach to the seat support brace. You have to cut two holes in the well liner for the grilles. The grilles hold the liner down to the supports. The stock cardboard boxes will only support a pretty lightweight, shallow coned speaker, something on the order of a 4" x 9" 10 or 20W speaker. Anything bigger won't fit into the stock support, and the magnet will probably stick to the back of the seat. They sound OK with the top up but are pretty much useless with the top down, as they are buried under the top and the boot.

Same deal with the front. Youo can't put big giant speakers into the kick panel as there is not much room behind them. Both the front and rear speaker grilles are available aftermarket as is the cardboard support brackets, and special mounting screws for the rear speakers.

If you never use your trunk you would probably be better off (at least in the amount of power that speakers can handle) with one of those triangular speaker setups for putting behind the seats of a pickup truck. These things are removable and might be able to push more sound up through the top and rear seat area.

But what the heck, I've got chambered exhaust on mine and can't hear the radio on the highway anyway.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 01, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Mark! I'll check it out this weekend.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech

I believe 4"X 6" speakers mounted in the kick panels was an option.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

Well, I have wrestled with the CD player problem (adding it to the car without cutting the dash), and have this idea. I should add I am not a fan of CD changers. A single in-dash unit is addequate for me.

I plan on making a copy of the '69 8-track option, where the CD head unit is mounted to the console between the two front seats (as an arm rest). With the remotes they have today, you don't have to point them right at the unit, so changing tracks or volume is no problem. And with the newer "smooth face" units, you wont even see the controls when the car is off. All that will be visible is the original AM unit in the dash (OK, OK, an original 8-track car would have had an FM....). I hope I explained that OK. Most will think it is the original 8-track.

To make it really slick, a false face could be made with the 8-track knobs. I'm not going that far, though.

Just my idea.

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 12:30 PM

Danny,

The truck mounted CD player I referred to does have a face plate that includes radio, chev logo, and fits in original spot.

I'm not sure of the brand (I just bought it in Janaury, and it's in storage 250 miles away), but if you can wait for another 45 days, I'll let you know.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 06:02 PM
Tech Team
Joe

OK as far as front speakers goes you can buy/build a dual settup that goes into the same location as the single unit in your dash. Buying one is easier, but if you want to build one, e-mail me and I'll go through the proceedure for you....it's easy.
As far as radios goes you have a couple of choices. most of the radios you see with the chevy emblem on them are from Custom Autosound. they build radios that fit the stock location and have tapedecks...some can offer cd changer options. check them out on the web if you're interested
Your other option is a custom unit. I personally build custom units for classic cars that retain 100% original appearance but have modern electronics with a digital display mounted right in the face that can be turned off to appear stock. I also have cd options and am working one a single cd unit that I hope to have completed soon. If you are interested e-mail me with the phrase "Joes Classic Car Radio" in the subject, and I'll send you info and pictures. I can do custom settups also if anyone is looking for something special.
Sorry to give myself the plug here, but you asked about radios and I couldn't help it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Doug, if "Radio Joe" is unable to help me, I hope to hear from you in about 45 days!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 06:25 AM

I have the new JVC "Kamelion" in my 67 and it looks nice. I wasn't going with an original look, but it doesn't stand out because it's smooth face (you can use the remote or push a button and the controls slide out) and when it's off it's all black and barely noticeable. It also offers a lot more power than other units (I just blew out my pioneer 6x9's in the back..). I would definitely recomend it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

lil beast 67 - any cutting to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode