LT -1 Engine Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Let me first apologize in advance for asking a somewhat "non" 1st Gen Camaro question, though I know that some of you use this particular motor in your cars and I value your expert opininions.....are these motors notorious for oil leaks? I noticed a leak and I'm guessing that it coming from the rear main seal. I've "heard" that the LT1 was subceptible to leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 08:07 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Not a drop out of mine... The famous leak you are talking about is from the intake manifold.. I think there was a recall to fix it... if I remember, your '97 is very low mileage, if so the previous owner may have experenced the problem when notified...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

You are correct, the car has less than 19K miles on it. As of today, is the recall still in effect or is there a time limit?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 04:42 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Danny,

I may have been hasty in saying recall. GM was fixing them but it may have been warrantee work. Call a dealership, they should know...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Dennis,

Ben (No 'E) was saying that he read somewhere about a bad seal problem with the LT-1 but I forgot which one. The car is still under warranty and I'll take it to the dealer next week. Thanks!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

That sounds like the intake manifold leak. I haven't experienced it with my supercharged 93, but a lot of people have had it fixed. And, I might add that a lot of times it isn't fixed properly and reappears quickly again. I'll take a look for a link that explains how to fix it correctly.

------------------
Jeff H - 93 Indy 500 Pace Car(supercharged), Hugger Orange 69 Z28 with JL8 brakes being restored
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech

Funny that is mentioned, since i just rebuilt my LT1. It already has the darn intake leak. I guess i get to pull it off again.
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/tyler_beauregards_68_camaro/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
John

Talking

At least you're pulling it off in a 68 and not a 4th GEN! YIKES!! So is she all back together and working Tyler? How's project 50-50 coming? Is the LT1 car still for sale? Take care ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech

Yeah, the Green 68 is for sale. Project 50-50 is going slow, since i'm starting to get cold feet. I may sell the combo (LT1/T56) out of the green car, sell the subframe with global west and Baer components, sell my 12 bolt posi, sell the cal-tracs, Phantom gages, basicly most of the car. Then sell the nice shell i bought, and have the sucker on the road in time for summer. I don't know yet.
Tyler

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.pro-touring.com/featured_cars/tyler_beauregards_68_camaro/tyler_beauregard.htm" TARGET=_blank>
68-LT1-T56
</A>
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just called the Chevy dealer and he confirmed that the intake is/was a problwm with the LT-1. Initially, I thought it was leaking from the rear-main seal. If it is the intake, where would the oil specifically be dripping from?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

On my '96 Impala SS, the intake leak occured.
It basically came right out of the back center of the intake, and down over the bellhousing/tranny... Dealer fixed it, no problems.

The '97 LT1 in my '67 SS/RS does not leak at all.

One other thing, the '96 LT1 in my '96 Impala also developed a leak atthe oil filter adapter O-ring.

David
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

BINGO! David, how long did it take to fix? How did they fix the leak on the filter? Thanks!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

Danny,
Don't know how long the intake leak took to fix on my Impala, as it was also in for some other warranty work at the time.(i did get the car back the same day). I do know they have to remove the intake, clean the surfaces, and reseal everything. The Impala's LT1 is a tad more accesible than yours

The oil filter adapter on the driver's side was a simpoe matter of replacing the o-ring seal. It never leaked again in 25k miles.

Good luck,
David
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

Ha! I had the same two leaks! i fixed the oil filter one first, and used stock GM gaskets this time on the intake (big mistake). I'm going to fix it this weekend.
Tyler
PS- Good to see you around again David, thought ya left us!
Tyler

------------------
68-LT1-T56
</A>
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

I been busy!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode