shifter vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Red face

Has anyone run into this problem before, I have a 67 camaro, 355 sbc, muncie m20 4 speed, hurst competion plus, 373 posi. There is a bad vibration in the shifter handle, starting around 50 mph and geting worse from there on up. I have new mounts, have changed driveshafts, new u-joints, new rear bushing in tailshaft housing, new clutch and plate. The vibration ends when I push in the clutch, has anyone run into something like a bent mainshaft in a muncie? I welcome any ideas on this problem.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech

It is an engine vibration not the drive train. When you put your foot on the clutch you are disengaging the engine if the vibration stops that means you have disengaged the problem {engine}

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 04:21 PM

Could be your harmonic balancer is in need of some attention.

69er

------------------
69 Camaro 454
71 Nova 454

If your not living on the edge then your taking up too much space

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
John

I have the same thing happening with almost the same set up as you. I think my flywheel is out of balance. Everything else is new or replaced like you. I have even had the tranny rebuilt. I also need new bushings for the shift rods...that may help. Good luck ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 01, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

I had the same problem with my 68 I replaced the driveshaft, u-joints, rearend and the 4-spd then I was checking out camaro research group and I saw a article about a vibration when you put a small block in a big block car and use the same frame mts so now I'am getting the parts to put in a big block ck to see if your car was a big block car!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I cannot argue about the vibration being an engine problem, it may very well be, only thing I had this problem last year, and I changed motors over the winter, same problem, different engine, different balancer
Thanks
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 01, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

john68rs
I replaced all the bushings in the shifter, even used shim washers to tighten the new clips up, new parts make the shifter viberate more!
Thanks
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 01, 02:48 PM
Senior Tech

I have the same vibration and all is new in my car. I've also fully balanced my motor and have a new balancer and flywheel. It starts about 2000 rpm and just buzzes.

molaker - I'm interested in the "former BB car" theory. My car is one of those but I can't think of anything that would cause this particular problem, except - if the frame mount differences between BB and SB cause a misalignment in the driveshaft I suppose that could cause some vibration. However, it doesn't seem to be enough of a difference to be the cause. Do you have a link to the article?

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 01, 03:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Hmmm. My 355 with the M20 does the same but I figured it was part of the experience. Now I'm not sure. The car has always been a small block to the best of my knowledge. It's above 3000 or so that it gets buzzy. Then again, I don't expect the motor to be silky smooth.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 01, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

Q: [23-Dec-1998] Correction: Do all V8 1967-69 Camaros use the same engine mounts and engine mount (frame) brackets?

A: No. Let's start with small-block Chevy (SBC) V8s. All '67-'68 SBC and '69 307ci and 327ci engines used the same engine mount bracket (approximately 2-1/2 inches wide). The 1969 302ci and 350ci engines used a shorter (~3/8 inch) and narrower (~1/4 inch) bracket. (The engine mount relationships for these brackets are best described in the table below rather than in text.) Note that, unfortunately, 1967-68 engine mounts will assemble to the 1969 302/350 engine mount bracket, but this is an incorrect assembly that results in driveline vibration and clutch chatter because the engine sits too low and can move on the bracket.
Looking at big block Chevy (BBC) engines, in order to gain engine compartment clearance the engine was offset 1 inch to the right (towards the passenger side) by means of asymmetric brackets. 1967-68 BBC engine mount brackets are 2-1/2 inches wide (but not the same as SBC) and use the same corresponding engine mount as 302ci and 350ci SBC. For '69, BBC engine mount brackets were redesigned to use the new thicker, narrower, engine mount also used by 302ci and 350ci. BBC bracket pairs are easily spotted because the left bracket is noticeably taller than the right in order to achieve the engine offset.

I hope this helps I fought a vibration in my car for years till I found this in camaro research group I havn't changed my engine yet but I'am still gather the parts.
after rereading this I'am not sure about small block in a big block car I hope somebody can shed some light on this.
------------------
molaker

[This message has been edited by molaker (edited 04-17-2001).]
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 01, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech

Excellent post if I would have known what was what before we stared I could have saved much grieve and screaming.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 07:07 AM
Senior Tech
John

Exclamation

It sounds like this vibration is VERY common! Hopefully my mounts are wrong and this would fix it. My shifter is a Hurst Comp. plus. I realy want a Tremec anyway...so hopefully that will finally fix it!! good luck all ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
John

Sometimes we have atendancy to "over think" our problems when in actuality they usually turn out to be something quite simple. I had this problem in my '69 Z/28 and was worried I had an out of balance drive shaft. Instead I started with the first part of the transmission that touches the engine which is the pilot bearing. I installed a roller bearing specified for GM trucks. Moroso also sells one but the GM version has more rollers. Vibration disappeared!
Good luck.

John
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 01:42 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

One more simple idea, I had the same type of problem with my 302. It turned out to be a water pump, the bearing was causing a vibration and it sent it all they way through to the clutch. Needless to say, I had swapped out a clutch, and pilot bearing before I found the real problem!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech
John

Talking

Those are great suggestions...My Dad is sure it's the pilot bearing. I replaced it awhile back, but just with another stock one. I like the idea about the spinning accessories too...it could very well be a bent pulley or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode