header problems - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 01, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i have 2 seperate questions concerning small block headers in my 71 nova
1)3 year old dynomax headers with ceramic coating- coating is flaking off in rather large chunks.drivers side header got bent when i hit a chunk of re-bar sticking out of the ground, and the coating is fine..the pass side header looks like it has some sort of camo pattern, with shiny coating and large rusty patches.
2) got new hedman hedders to replace dynomax headers- no coating this time. pipe hits on steering box cover. i thought hedmans were supposed to fit so awesome. dynomax cleared great.
anyone else have similar probs, and will jet-hot or dynomax make right with the screwed up headers? i liked the coating except for the flaking off part.. i will make some calls when i have the time,just want to know how others have dealt with these issues.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 01, 05:20 AM
Senior Tech
Donnie

Send a message via MSN to 69DZ302
Novaderrik, I bought my '69 Z28 approx three months ago and it had the Hedman headers on it. The previous owner had them on the car for a little over a year and always had a leak on the driverside at the motor. I tried changing the gaskets but nothing helped. I finally returned the defective set for a new set and now the driverside new header doesn't fit up to the exhaust pipe where I can get the bolts in. I'm taking it to the muffler shop this week to get it corrected. I never had a problem with them hitting anything, just the leaks. Most people I talk to recommend Hooker or something else other than Hedman headers. I want know if my leak at the motor is gone until I get the pipe underneath bolted up. Maybe I won't get a ticket driving it through town with a open header--but it sure sounds good. Good Luck with yours, Donnie...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 01, 09:31 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Most headers I've used need the mating surface at the head surfaced to true it before installing the header. I also use the metal embossed Fel-Pro gaskets made for steel manifolds and have never had one blow out or leak. I've gotten in the habit with small blocks to cut the bar that connects all the primary tubes. I'll cut it off and grind the flanges down to look nice. this looks a lot cleaner, the pipes fit well and contrary to popular belief this doesnt cause th pipes to crack at the collectors. My last pair of Hedmans wee big tube 1 3/4" primaries and they were for 67-69 Camaros. The passenger side had a primary tube that hit the idler arm when the wheel was turned all the way. I haven't found any one manufacturer that's perfect yet. Good luck.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 01, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

the header jobs I have done on my stuff have usually fit, However there was a time when a tube was hitting my steering box, I couldnt turn my wheel, so I took them off , and had the mating surface shaved a bit, still no go ,

so I remove them and ran over them 4 or 5 times slowely with a truck, the tube bent closer, and didnt smash , and then they fit...

*individual results may vary --heheheh

------------------

Chris's 67 RS 327, Comp280,Flowmasters,shoddy interior, pepboys carpet and rusty floors and trunk can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING!
http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 01, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to CamaroNOTcamero
dont know if this will help, but i think you should have the dynomax ceramic coated headers fixed, the coating looks nice, and the black painted headers will flake off the black paint and stink up the car for a day or two.
my brothers 76' vette has hooker headers w/ black paint, not worth it for them, nice headers but too pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode