fan shroud - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Question

i just rebuilt my 350cid in my '69 RS but i can't find a fan shroud to keep it running cool. What other cars would have a shroud that would fit my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 26th, 01, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I don't know what other cars have the same shroud, but chances are you will have a very hard time finding one in a junkyard in acceptable condition. The Chevy dealer actually can still get brand new shrouds - that's where I got one for my 68. Cost around $65 though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 02:14 AM
Bri

Classic Industries sells one for $50. Don't buy the shroud clips through them. You can get them cheap at an Ace Hardware.

------------------
Bri

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 04:21 AM
Senior Tech

How well do those universal shrouds that summit sells work?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 28th, 01, 08:38 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Fan shrouds are available at all the parts suppliers; Classic, Rick's, Year One etc. They fit unless the radiator is a different unit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 11:00 AM
Team Member
John

The aftermarket stuff is junk. Are you using the stock radiator, fan, and clutch? NOTHING will cool your engine as efficiently as the factory setup, assuming everything is correctly assembled and operating properly, including the stock shroud. You can get extra cooling margin if you need it by upgrading from a 2-core to a 3-core radiator or from a 3-core to a 4-core. I see cars every weekend at shows with no shrouds and weird electric or flex-fans, and all of them have "cooling problems", because the carefully-engineered factory "system" has been butchered or trashed because "it doesn't look cool". These are the guys that keep Red-Line "Water-Wetter" flying off the speed shop shelves, and it doesn't work either (more "snake oil"). What WORKS is a properly-sized free-flowing radiator (not an old one full of corrosion and scale) that's sealed to the radiator support, the correct shroud that's sealed to the radiator, the correct fan for the shroud, the correct fan clutch that locates the fan blades exactly half in and half out of the shroud, and a 50-50 mix of anti-freeze and water that gets changed every two years. There aren't any "band-aids" to overcome a lousy cooling system; only two things really matter - an effective heat transfer device (the radiator), and plenty of airflow through it (not around it).

Don't mean to rant, but I see this every summer; pretty soon this forum will be full of "overheating" posts as the weather warms up, and 99% of those problems would never arise if people would just make sure the original factory system is in good shape instead of trashing the pieces and buying all the "cool-looking stuff" from Summit. Unless your car is an all-out race machine, it doesn't need special aftermarket cooling system parts. But, nobody listens - they'd rather have their ride "look cool" instead of having it "run cool".

Simple formula, but the people who mess with it because "it isn't cool" wind up with an engine that isn't cool either.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
John

So John what do you really think? Good poop for everyone! The cooling system is a very basic setup. When all the correct components are in place and operating properly very little can go wrong.

John
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up

Once I replaced my radiator with a stock replacement, replaced the shroud, removed the flex fan and put in the proper fan and fan clutch my Camaro never even gets close to hot. Even last summer here in Texas with the A/C on MAX high.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 01, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech

Smitty, a heads up. I just put the new radiator in my '67 and the fan shroud I ordered wouldn't fit. Turns out that you can get either a 21" or 23" radiator for our first gens and I had a 21" radiator and a 23" shroud. There are holes in the radiator support to mount both sizes of radiator. Like the post above, I would recommend ordering the correct size radiator NEW and the matching size shroud from one of the Camaro parts places like Ground UP. If you want more cooling, go to a 3 row or 4 row radiator. Everything should fit and you should have no problems unless your engine is bored out to the edge or a full race setup.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 31st, 01, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

It does help to know what size radiator you have. This is a case where size does matter

I replaced my fan shroud last year with a unit from Classic with no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode