Question

Will a stock 1970 A/C setup work with the new
freon laws in CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 05:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I converted my stock 72 over to R134. I replaced the o-rings and drier. The system was evacuated and re-charged. Works fine. I'm not sure about the stock compressor as I converted to a March serpentine set-up and changed my compressor to a new Sanden style. The condenser, etc. is fine for the R134.

Jody
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech

if it is a working system, you just need to evac it and use a conversion charge kit on it.

i have done this to about 50 vehical's. with no problem. if the system in non-op it would be best to change all the O-rings and the acumulator/dryer and the compreser.

also flush the system too. R-134a will burn if compressed with oxegen in the system. R-12 did not do this. the flush will get rid of old oil and other contamination.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Where are you? If it gets hot-100 deg.+ or your AC duct temp goes up a bunch when sitting at lights,you will need an extra cooling fan on the condenser.134a runs at higher temp.and pressure,with the same condenser as r12.I've blown up enough systems,or had cooling problems.If your car runs hot,the AC system will die.Basically, if you can keep your high side pressures under 350-375# when idling for 10 minutes,and then holding it at 1500 RPM for 1 minute,when it's real hot out,you're all right.

------------------
68 z28 68 rs 327 73 454 vette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode