staggered rear shock question - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 99, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Looking through some restoration books covering the early Camaros, I have learned that some of the cars with mono leaf springs were fitted with an "underride bar" or "stabilizer bar" connected from the frame to the rear axle to eliminate axle windup on acceleration. In '68, it sounds like the problem was addressed by staggering the shocks and installing the multilple leaf springs. My question is, on a car with mono leaf springs, how hard is it to install shock brackets that would stagger the shocks? Does this help? It seems like it would be a very easy bolt in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 99, 07:02 AM

The rear stabilizer bar was put there to control "Sway" the inherent tendency to lean alot around corners, not for straight line traction although it may help some but nothing to call home about. I don't see what staggering the shocks would do for that either. Maybe it was just another design, It's currently being used on trucks, For that "big car stability". Mono leaf springs are better for traction because they don't bind and allow the tire to "hook".

------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
The night-time is the right time

****James Bondo****
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Sureguy (edited 10-19-99).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 99, 07:22 AM
Senior Tech

You're correct as to why the bracket and brace on the passenger side axle tube of '67 Camaro's were installed (to prevent "axle wrap") but I don't think it was limited to just mono-leaf cars. As far as your question goes, the lower shock mounts are bolt-ons that sandwich the springs to the rear - there's no reason why you couldn't use some of the lower mounts from a '69 to stagger your shocks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 99, 08:15 AM

As a side note, I think the upper shock mounts are staggered as well. You might be able to relocate them.

My homepage....
www.kdsi.net/~malandk

------------------
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 99, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech

The bar was put on to control wheel hop. It was only for mono springs because it was only used in 67 and all 67's originally came with mono springs. Its not as easy as it sounds to do the conversion. The inner wheel well on the drivers side is different between the 67 with non staggered and the 68 with staggered.
They come up into the trunk area in different places.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 99, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks to all for the replies, 68SS396, your information is helpful. It seems easy to swap the brackets that the lower end of the shocks mount to, but I didn't know if significant changes are needed in the wheel well where the upper shock mounts. Sounds like I would need to do some cutting in the wheel well, which I don't want to do on this car. It does have the underride bar from axle to frame, so I will leave the shocks as they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode