Valve cover difference? LT-1 and DZ 302 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 10:35 AM
stenn5

Question

Are their any external differences between the 70 LT-1 valve covers and 69 DZ 302 covers? What is the internal difference? What Im thinking but I dont have a clue is, buying a set of LT-1 covers for my 69 Z since they have drippers. Good Idea or Bad?
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 10:53 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Mike,

The LT-1's are polished and the DZ's are not.

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 01, 04:01 AM

I'm not so sure the '70 Z-28 finned valve covers were polished. I have had my car for over 20 years and the covers do not appear to have ever been polished. In the original road tests of the day they do not look polished either. I know later the replacement LT-1 covers were polished and the later vettes appear to be polished, just not conviced the 1970 originals were. Any other opinions?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 03:18 AM

69 and 70 not polished 69 drippers 70 no drippers

TIM

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 05:42 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Tim,

Isn't that no drippers in '69?

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 05:52 AM

The ones on my 69 had drippers. But they could have been changed over the years they did race the car so how knows. My frist Z had drippers too. And so did the Z I tuned up this weekend.

TIM

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 30th, 01, 06:53 AM
Tech Team

In PRODUCTION, 1969 Z-28s and L-46 Corvettes used valve covers WITHOUT the internal oil drippers - part numbers 3932415 (left) and 3932416 (right). Some time in late 1969 (most likely) or very early 1970, these valve covers were replaced in PRODUCTION with valve covers WITH the drippers - part number 3965541 (left) and 3965542 (right). The early style covers, 3932415 & 3932416, were discontinued from SERVICE (parts counter sales) in March 1970 and January 1970 respectively so it is highly unlikely that any 1970 LT-1 equipped Camaros would have had the earlier style valve cover. I am aware of a very early 1970 LT-1 Corvette (original owner car) that was delivered in January 1970 with the second design covers with the drippers which is why I am inclined to believe that the change occurred sometime during 1969.

All of the above mentioned valve covers had an "as cast" finish and were definitely not polished. The color is actually more gray than silver and the surface texture is smooth (unlike some of the "restored" covers that I've seen recently). Also, the valve covers were side specific at this point in time since the right side valve cover was not drilled for an oil fill cap under the emblem as later revisions were.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode