400 small block going into my car - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Question

I am going to put a 400 small block into my car and i was wondering if the way i build it will the chassis twist because of so much horsepower running through it. I have found out that there will be about 440 hp in it. if i get T-tops on it how much would it cost and will that make a difference in causeing the chassis to twist? And last question, where can i go to find customized parts for my camaro its a 1987 Camaro Z28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 01, 08:42 PM

I guess you may see a bit of twisting; maybe get some suspension upgrades and sub-frame connections, not sure. My guess though is that the tires won't give you the traction to allow the chassis to twist. I theorize you will spin the tires way before you can do much damage, providing you stick with your stock 60 series meats.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 28th, 01, 06:05 AM

definitely get some sub-frame connectors!! even if ur tires spin so much there wont be much twisting, there will still be SOME. and that could b bad for ur t-tops. check out www.nextgenparts.com u can order a free catalog from their website. they have a connector for an 82-92 f-body part # SF28 for $249. but check them out, they have some pretty good stuff

------------------
Black 82 Z28 t-top, 350(toying w/ the idea of a 454) w/ TH350

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 29th, 01, 09:33 AM
Senior Tech

Just install the 400 and get a plate that says " Twister", cause that what she is going to do!

Get sub frames right off the bat. They will help. I cracked a t-top with my V6 (not stock) so it doesn't take much to do some damage. I just picked up the Southside Machine lift bar setup. I have two friends that run them, and the cars dead hook.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

Member of the "unwanted" 3rd Gen group.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 29th, 01, 12:12 PM

You cracked a T with a V6? Must be a nice engine. Anyway, I just realized something here. I am running a 1983 Trans Am with a 250 +- HP 350 in it, and my T-tops are fine. I think this may be due to the stiffer trans-am package, so if you are going to put it in a Camaro, I would say yes, the sub-frame connectors are in order. When I put the 400 in my T/A, I will also get sub-fram connectors to play it safe. They are cheaper than a new chassis afterall, heh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode