67 SS350 Tach Redline - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 99, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm new to this forum and also just recently discovered the CRG website via Kurt's link in his postings (Thanks Kurt). I thought I knew how to pick a 67 SS car from a fake just from what I've learned in my own resto project over the last few years. I was surprised to discover on the CRG website that a 67 SS350 (L48) had a tach redline of 5K as opposed to 5.5K. Almost every SS350 I have seen has had a 5.5K tach. I have only seen a 5K tach on 2 SS350s. One was an obvious fake (VIN was for 6 cyl.) at a car show and the other frankly is my own car. I have been assuming it is wrong (i.e. was replaced at some point in its life) since I know my car is a true SS (complete #s matching, including partial VIN stamps on engine,xmission, body as well as correct cowl tag codes)

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with an authentic 67 SS350. Which is correct, 5K or 5.5K redline?

Thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 99, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Just something to think about. I have a 67 RS that someone turned into an RS/SS. It has the '4P' code on the firewall tag. It now has a 454 in it so I knew the original engine was gone. I received documentation from GM of Canada that shows the car is an original RS, 327/275hp 4 speed with console/gauges. So that proves that the '4P' does not guaranty it is an SS350. Anyway, my car has the 5K tach. I'd bet they put both tachs in depending on what supplies were on hand.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 07:48 PM

Question

I have a 67 SS camaro with a 5.5 tach. From what I know the 5k is a Fake. I've seen them go on E-bay listed as repos.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by meche82:
I'm new to this forum and also just recently discovered the CRG website via Kurt's link in his postings (Thanks Kurt). I thought I knew how to pick a 67 SS car from a fake just from what I've learned in my own resto project over the last few years. I was surprised to discover on the CRG website that a 67 SS350 (L48) had a tach redline of 5K as opposed to 5.5K. Almost every SS350 I have seen has had a 5.5K tach. I have only seen a 5K tach on 2 SS350s. One was an obvious fake (VIN was for 6 cyl.) at a car show and the other frankly is my own car. I have been assuming it is wrong (i.e. was replaced at some point in its life) since I know my car is a true SS (complete #s matching, including partial VIN stamps on engine,xmission, body as well as correct cowl tag codes)

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with an authentic 67 SS350. Which is correct, 5K or 5.5K redline?

Thanks alot
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 05:44 AM
Senior Tech

Actually after looking in an old book I have had for 20 + years. The 5K redline is correct for the small block. The 5500 red is for the BB hydraulic lifters and the 6k red is for the BB mechanical lifters. I have owned 11 SS 350's and all had the 5K redlines. This comes from my Camaro! Chevy's Classis Chassis book.

------------------
68 RS red w/ white stripes
67 SS/RS restoring
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech

This may not help but, I have a couple of small block El Caminos (1-68, 1-71) which came with 5k redline tachs.

Steve R.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 03:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I just got a 67 RS SS 350 car from a Elderly second owner. It has 5500 redline. I don't believe it has ever been messed with. Also has Shoulder harness seat belts. Cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode