68 RS conv. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking at a 68 RS conv. with SS badges. The body is rust free, nice paint and interior (not original colors). Everything works but doesn't have the original 350, no documentation. I've never really looked at convertables much, but this one caught my eye. The guy wants 12500.00 for it. Do you guys think this is out of line. I think its on the high side for a very good (not perfect) non-original, but now I'm thinking about riding around with that top down.....damn, these things are going to break me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 09:07 PM
Tech Team

If its one of those 'must see to believe' cars then it might be worth it. IMO though, when we are talking about future value, then Camaros with original engine and trans should far exceed those without, in appreciation. If youre going to invest in another Camaro...Get all you can get.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 04:56 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
If you wouldn't have a problem displaying it at a show -n- shine, I would say it's a fair deal. It seems like most of the new ragtop owners I talked to last summer got their's in the 15k - 18k range. I also walked away from a driver project (needed paint, interior 130k on drive train) for 10k. Owner was asking 12k and was told not to take less than 10k by a good friend who knows all about these cars!! Check out www.traderonline.com to get an idea what folks are asking. The price checker works well and you can also select everything from local area to national...

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I know everybody gets tired of hearing "hey, what's this worth", but sometimes it's good to hear someones opinion that isn't involved with the car!
The paint is fresh and looks good, I would take a wild guess that it is a 2500.00+/- job. The interior was changed to a different color. Cheap carpet. Good top. He has added SS badging (hood, emblems, '68 350ci motor). I hesitate to pay that for it, on the other hand, here in B'ham. I could probably sell it tomorrow for 15K. Maybe I can get him down to 11500 or so.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 02:57 PM

Hey, I think for $12,500 you can find one and do it the way you want. I paid $2500 for my car and by the time I put $10,00 in it there will be nothing missing. I think it all depends on if you are willing or able to do some of the work. It all depends on what you are looking for, 10 people can say "oh bad deal" and then 10 mor ewill say "good deal". Do what you think is right, watch the market they are going for $17K - $25K depending on matching #'s and originality. Just my $.02
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 03:27 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Camaro68luvr:
Hey, I think for $12,500 you can find one and do it the way you want. I paid $2500 for my car and by the time I put $10,00 in it there will be nothing missing. I think it all depends on if you are willing or able to do some of the work. It all depends on what you are looking for, 10 people can say "oh bad deal" and then 10 mor ewill say "good deal". Do what you think is right, watch the market they are going for $17K - $25K depending on matching #'s and originality. Just my $.02<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bring out some good points. I must speak up though because it will be the find of the year to score a $2500 ragtop. And if you do, you will have to be well versed in body, paint, interior and mechanical to do a full restoral for under 10 grand. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of respect for the guy that can do it all! I have seen the cost of interior kits, guages, dash pieces, body panels, etc. It all adds up quick.

I see in your other post you're looking for 1/4's that fit for your car. Check the "for sale" section as there are some NOS that just got listed. Not RS but you can put the headlight brackets on them yourself!!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 04:51 PM

DJD...I found my car from a guy who I met at a car show and became friends with. It needs 1/4's and fenders. Everything else is good. I have a GM connection and get all GM parts at cost and my father has 4 dealerships so one of his guys does all my body work and paint work for $2500(built him a 347 stroker for his stang) LUCKY ME...I just know there are some out there. i know where there is a 67 Z if someone had the time to try to contact the owner. It is a barn car. I hope this gentlemen finds his vert and trust me keep looking they are out there...Look on ebay one just sold for $2000. It was a v-8 69 vert no ss or rs but still a good car. Just keep looking

------------------
White 69 SS/RS 350 Covnvertible with Black deluxe, PS, PDB, AC, Tilt, Tach, gauges, cowl hood option and other good toys
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 01, 06:12 PM
DelGratta

Hey, I have a 68 RS convertible and I LOVE IT!! My wife and I cruise downtown to the ice cream shop and park on mainstreet. It's so cool when the tops down and people stop by to say "nice car" etc...

Had 2 coupes prior. I'll be honest, I do want another coupe, but I'll never give up the summer fun we have in the convertible!

GO FOR IT!!

------------------
Dan
My 68 RS Convertible 1 My 68 RS Convertible 2
My Web Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode