HEI in 67 Camaro how to? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 99, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I know how to install the HEI, I just need to find out how much fire wall massaging needs to be done. I can get a complete unit for $50.00 with cap and coil, it seems to be a good deal. Will it go in with just a little work or is it a major amount of work. If it's too much of a hassel I will go with the pertronix igniteor. Stock apperance is not a problem, but money is. Both are about the same amount of money, when the entire job is done.

------------------
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 99, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

My 67 has an HEI. It was in the car when I bought it. They put a box about two inches deep in the firewall to clear the cap. Works like a champ but I have to jack up the back of the motor to remove the distributor.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 99, 04:12 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
My '69 has HEI and I didn't think the firewall was touched until pulled the dist. Who ever did the install took a hammer to the firewall it looks very bad (lots of hammer marks) with the dist out (dented in about 1.5" or so) but with it back in place you can't tell. If I ever pull the motor I will take the opertunity to clean it up and try to get a bit more clearence.

------------------
...DjD
69RS Ragtop
www.fbody.com/members/topless69

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 99, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I have a Performance Distributors HEI in my '68. It has a full-size cap and fits with no firewall modifications. Plenty of space for installation and adjustment. The only modification necessary is the removal of the factory resistor or resistance wire. A 12 ga. wire should be run from the firewall plug to the HEI. An easy way to make the wire installation really clean is to scavange a wiring harness from an 70's car that has an HEI, unwrap both harnesses, and swap the wires by removing the plugs from the harness. The junk yard harness will come in handy for other wiring jobs as well since you can use these wires to plug into empty slots in the firewall plug instead of drilling holes in the firewall.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 99, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

I agree with Carl. The HEI *will* fit with no firewall modifications. My 67 had it and I've seen dozens of cars with it. Don't beat the firewall unnecessarily.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 99, 02:35 PM
Tech Team

I would make sure you have enough clearance, just fitting wont do it. Dimple the firewall enough to get 1" clearance, or make sure your engine has solid mounts and a chain holding it down. Any engine movement will crack the cap and strand you if there isnt enough room (Been there, done that)

------------------
66/70 chevelle ss396's
69/71 camaros
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 99, 02:43 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
My '69 small block has 1/16th" clearence after having the firewall beat on! Is the motor mounted further back in the '67 & '68?

------------------
...DjD
69RS Ragtop
www.fbody.com/members/topless69
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 99, 03:48 AM
Senior Tech

Just put an HEI on my 67 350. No firewall modifications were necessary. I did have the vacuum advance removed in favor of a mechanical advance. Have the HEI spun, curved, and setup to your cam specifications. My general rule of thumb is to think " What will it take to restore?" before I modify.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 99, 12:06 PM

I put an HEI in my 67, 327, had to dent the firewall a bit. best thing to do is get a big piece of pipe and hit that, that way it looks clean. as far as removing the resistance wire, i had to leave mine on or the car wouldn't shut off.

------------------
Severe 67
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 99, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I might be going with the ignitor, it seems as though it will be less hassle in the long run. The thing I find intresting is that some have to modify while other don't, I have not completly decided if I want to take the chance on my fire wall, and end up having to make major mods.

------------------
[email protected]
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 99, 03:01 AM
Senior Tech

Joe, if your still not sure why don't you just try it. HEI's are cheap or free and are everywhere. Pick one up or borrow one. Pulling distributors are no big deal. Pull yours out and see if the HEI will go in without any problems. If it doesn't go in and fit with enough clearance to make you happy then the decision has been made for you. You got alot of different answers so if you are thinking about it just try putting it in and see what happens. Your only checking for fitment at this point, not messing with wires so its easy. Then you will know and you won't be left wondering if it could have fit or not.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 99, 09:45 AM

I know this is an old topic, but it might help inform someone. I have a 67RS, 327/275, all standard. I have the engine stripped down to the intake and I am about to pull it.I plan to use an HEI on a 350. I decided to try the HEI for fit, and , with the cap/coil off, it will not allow true vertival enough to slide completely into the block. With the cap on, it wouldn't even start to go in. I took the time to measure the standard distributor and the HEI (caps on) and the HEI is almost exactly 1 inch larger in diameter and about 1 3/4 inches taller. If the firewall were 1/4 inch deeper, I could slip the HEI in w/o cap and then install the cap, with little clearance. I have decided for a cleaner approach and cut and section the firewall. I am beginning to think there are minute differences between cars that aren't documented anywhere. But there is no way an HEI will slip in to the existing manifold/block without moving something.

------------------
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 99, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech

I recall reading an article about motor mounts and how all BB, SB, and 6cyl will work with all engines. The differences are in how much the engine is set forward or back.

I will have to find the article to determine which mounts move the engine in which direction.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 99, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech

i know this probably doesnt help but my car is a 68 BB and the HEI fits with room to spare???
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 99, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks maroSS396. That helps me out. I have a '68 SS 396 that I picked up recently and was wondering if the HEI would clear everything ok when I put in my '69 Vette 427 engine. It will be going together with the correct BB frame stands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode