Exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 00, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

I own a 68 camaro and i am looking to put on a new exhaust system i want something really loud i wanted to know if anybody know what is louder the American thunder from flowmaster or Ricks Chambered system and info would be geat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 00, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech

How about headers into 3" pipes out to 5" megaphones under the rear bumper with no mufflers. That should do the job and also **** off everyone within a 5 mile radius of your house. If that's not loud enough you can always buy a tape of drag racing and play it over giant stadium speakers mounted to the trunk lid.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 00, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech

If you want loud get 2 chamber flowmasters.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 00, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech

If loud is what you want, what do you need an exhaust for? I'd run open headers.......
Maybe some of those good exhaust fumes will creep up into the car, and you can get a free buzz out of it also! KZ
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 4th, 00, 03:08 PM
Tech Team
Dave

How loud the system will be depends on how your engine is set up. A 600 HP BB will be a lot louder than a 180HP 307. I've got a Rick's Chambered system on my 67 RS Conv with 327, vortec heads, 268H cam, performer intake and carb, with stock manifolds. It sounds great when you start it and mean rumble at idle. But at WOT it's so loud, I get dirty looks from Harley Davidson riders!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 08:38 AM
Tech Team

2 meaningful replies out of 4 from Tech Team Members ain't a good average. If you're tired of answering these questions, as some have indicated in the past, just don't reply.Thanx Torch and MarkM.

------------------
74 Camaro
Canada, eh!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech

Hey, I'm just tryin' to have a little fun, no harm intended, I'm sure Rocky Mountain Racer feels the same way. Some of the questions are so goofy though, it's hard to resist.
You know, like, "What color should I paint my car?" I saw that one again yesterday, and held back. I'll try to contain myself, especially now that we're being charged by the # of hits! Sorry......KZ
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech

Lighten up Crash - I was just poking a little fun! And in case you are not paying attention - there are a few questions asked in jest - such as the one regarding locking keys in the convertible - and plenty of smart answers tossed around. Hopefully, no one is banning good natured ribbing and jokes among us gearheads.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 02:33 PM
Tech Team

Yep, you're right to a point. I've seen one board go down the dumper and I wouldn't want the same to happen here.That one started when the long term members lost patience with newbie questions. Peace.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Wow some of you guys are real jerks huh(Your the type of guys that should own mustangs) megaphones huh good one. i am 20 and in my town your car means alot i am getting a zz4 with hot cam for my car and i want it to sound nice so chill out you guys.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech

hey camaro kid ... i just put 2 chamber flowmasters with 2.5 pipes and a h pipe on my 69 z28 302ci and it is very loud. it sounds good but is way too loud for me and my neighbors after late cruse nights
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 06:25 PM
Tech Team

"loud" is a relative term. What is loud to you, might be mild to someone else.
Find an exhaust you like on a car at a show or a friends car and go with the same......
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...Camaro3-1.html

------------------
Mike
69 Conv
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 6th, 00, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech

Re: the silly suggestion of megaphones:

Years ago when I was about 20 - like you CamaroKid - I had a Mercury Capri. It was lowered, flared, painted Ferrari red and set up for slalom racing. I built the heck out of the motor and put headers, dual exhaust with glasspacks and long megaphones out under the bumper! The exhaust sound was incredible - kinda like a race motorcycle at full throttle!

My neighbors hated me, I loved it and the cops hunted me down and wrote tickets like crazy. So, my wiseass answer was partly in jest and partly based on my own experiences - I just left out the history lesson.

So... how about a serious answer to an apparently serious question: the FlowMaster 2 chamber answer is good. You can also try MagnaFlow Mufflers - I happen to have those on my car now. They're louder than I wanted and have a mellow tone (Somewhat like the old Capri). I will most likely pull these off one of these days in leiu of something quieter. You can also literally run without mufflers but slip some small resonators in to take off the edge. Good luck.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode