Rebuild or replace quadrajet?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Its pretty much a stock 350 with 3500 stall, mild cam, edelbrock II intake, headers and stage 2 shift kit.. the 4 barrel is due for upgrade.. should I replace it or have it rebuilt.. it hesitates feeding the fuel when you punch it. I've been told too put on a 650 holly. what do you think? thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

There is no such thing as a good quadracrap. Get a Holley or Edelbrock. I would go at least 700 cfm for that motor.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 50 Dodge truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech

Question

What's the numbers off of it - I love Q-Jets - I'd might be willing to take off your hands

Steve

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 08:53 PM
Tech Team

Smile

I think the Q-Jet is a great carb.
Here is a link about rebuilding for performance info: http://www.dapa.org/frazier.htm The site is pontiac oriented, but the info is good. But before you blame the carb, make sure the ignition, etc. is good.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 01, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I've had the car in storage for the past 2years. I recently moved about an 18 hour drive from where I store it and am presently arranging to have it shipped to my new address... long story short.. I don't know the numbers off hand but from the replies I got I since checked out the suggested link and liked what I read.. I think I'll be checking the carb out a little more thoroughly before I get rid of it. thanks <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dobek:
What's the numbers off of it - I love Q-Jets - I'd might be willing to take off your hands

Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 01, 09:18 AM

Get the numbers off the carb ( main body, driver side ), get your self a rebuild kit, a couple of cans of 2+2 and do a rebuild. Quads are a go carb and if set up right will out preform a holly. I have used both and if I had my choice would run the quad.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 01, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I hope to have the car back home in the next month.. I will definitely be doing the rebuild. Will there only be one kit that will match the numbers? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GEAR HEAD:
Get the numbers off the carb ( main body, driver side ), get your self a rebuild kit, a couple of cans of 2+2 and do a rebuild. Quads are a go carb and if set up right will out preform a holly. I have used both and if I had my choice would run the quad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 01, 12:04 PM
Senior Tech

Unhappy

Darn, thought I might get another Q-Jet...

couple of things -

1 - there is a book by a guy named ROE that is EVERYTHING you would ever want to know about Q-jets - - I got mine at Barnes & Noble - GREAT reference book - written with the novice in mind.

2 - there are subtle differences between the years - so you want to get the rebuild kit specifically for your carb - so take the numbers and get the right kit (#'s will look like 7027202 or 17044217) - you can actually decode the number and see what car it was originally for - ie: 7027202 is a '67 camaro 350 - automatic - non-CA smog)

Rebuilding it is relatively simple - Roe book helps - just start with a clean workbench - some patience - and a pot full of carb cleaner.

There are a lot of small delicate parts - DON'T force anything - when reassembling.

Lot's of very knowledgeable people here - they have helped me a bunch with my Q-jet.

Have fun!

Steve

PS. my last rebuild kit cost $20 (US) - so it's not an expensive prospect.

[This message has been edited by Dobek (edited 08-10-2001).]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 01, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech

Has there been a second addition of the Doug Roe Qjet book mine is almost 30 years old and doesn't cover anything after 1973.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 01, 07:39 PM
Senior Tech

Talking

Copyright 1981 - says "revised edition" -

Contents:
Chpt 1 - How your carb works
Chpt 2 - engine air/fuel requirements
Chpt 3 - past & present rochesters
Chpt 4 - quadrajet designs
Chpt 5 - quadrajet service
Chpt 6 - select & install your carburetor
Chpt 7 - high performance carburetion
Chpt 8 - tuning tips
Chpt 9 - emissions control
metric conversions
index

176 pages with index.... price printed on book $17.95

Steve
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 01, 09:30 PM

the carb you hsve is probaly better than than any holley 650 you can buy. people call them quadra-crap, quadra-bog, and aloy of other dumb names because they dont know how to use them, anybody can slap on a holley, and make fun of a quadrajet, it takes a real man to learn how to build one that will kick a holleys *** any day. isnt a 3500 stall alittle much? horrable high way rpms.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 01, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

The shop that built my tranny said it was a 2800-3500 stall con. does that sound right? they said it would work well with what I had. Some of my buddies have their work done there so I trusted what they advised... I was 18 at the time and didn't really know alot about the mechanical workings of cars ... come to think I still don't know alot about it!? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ugly 83:
the carb you hsve is probaly better than than any holley 650 you can buy. people call them quadra-crap, quadra-bog, and aloy of other dumb names because they dont know how to use them, anybody can slap on a holley, and make fun of a quadrajet, it takes a real man to learn how to build one that will kick a holleys *** any day. isnt a 3500 stall alittle much? horrable high way rpms.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Baerit (edited 08-11-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode