69 Stripe, hood, combo questions - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 4th, 00, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

What combinations of hoods, and stripes were available in 1969? For example, on an SS, with the big stipes on the hood and trunk - with a cowl hood original? Or were the "hockey puck" stipes only original on the SS's and the "big stripes/bandaids" only available on z-28's?

And since I am new to the Camaro world, are the Z28's more preferred than the SS's? From reading various posts I get the impression that alot of folks want Z's, not sure if this is "basically" true or not.

Thanks for your input and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 03:21 AM
Senior Tech

z/28 was the only car that had the two big stripes running down the hood and the trunk.
ss had the d90 sport striping often refered to as the hockey stick stripes running on the sides of the car from the base of the front bumper up through the engine # and along the top of the front fender to the door handle (see my car for an example, but it should have a gap where the 396 motor #'s are).
if a rs was a non ss or z/28 it had the d96 fender striping which were thin pinstyle stripes running on the side from the front of each wheel well (front and back) along the top of the wheel wells going straight out a few feet past the wheel opening.
you could also get the dx1 front accent striping that sort of looked like a bumble bee stripe on the front running from the sides to the hood, but instead of being one stripe, it stopped before meeting in the middle and ran down each side of the ridge in the hood stopping at about the back of the hood.
the z/28 stripes are by far the most popular these days and you see them on ss and regular cars plus all the clones.
ss hoods (ones with 2 stacks on top of hood) were only avail. on ss cars - small or big blocks, the super scoop (cowl induction) hood was an option and could be ordered on any v-8 car, but probably most remembered for the z/28. these were not avail. until dec. of '68 so if you see an early '69 or 68 or 67 the hood was put on later.
Is the z/28 better? it seems to bring a higher price. had my heart set on one when i was looking for another (i had a cortez silver rs z/28 when i was a teen), but i "settled" for a big block car with air. (no air or auto for a true z). guess it just comes down to what you like.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

[This message has been edited by mike brown (edited 05-05-2000).]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

mike said it all about the stripes.
as for what type of camaro people want, sure i'd take a Z-28 any day, and i do believe there the most sorted type of camaro. but if i had the chance to get a "z" or a copo or yenko, good bye "z", i'd go after the other ones. i will someday own a "z", but for now, i'm happy with my 1969 camaro that is tubbed. it was a no-name camaro with a 6 cylinder, bought it for 250.00( i actually won it in a bet)and the rest is history.
welcome to the greatest world you'll ever live in, the camaro world.
later,
bruce

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 09:26 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The Z-11 and Z-10 (pace car) also got the Z/28 striping...

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info. Let me see if I understand one important part?

I am interested in finding a 69 SS Big Block, auto and air would be nice.

From the postings, I presume the stripes for the original SS were the hockey pucks with or without the cowl hood? Most curious about this because ALOT of the SS I find for sale have the bandaid stripes.

The Z's had the bandaid stripes and the RS's had the bumblebee and other pinstripes?

Do I have it in a nutshell?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech

If performance is what turns your clock, a big block SS is the way to go. The Z-28 of course has more of a racing heritage with it's SCCA background. But the fact is a Z-28 is no match for a high horsepower SS big block. GENERALLY speaking the SS cars were ordered with more options as well. All things considered I would much rather have a big block SSRS than a Z-28 but I can appreciate that there are others that feel differently. The 302 was an UNBELEIVEABLE motor for it's size and had a true horsepower reading of around 390 but you had to really twist it to get it going. 7500-8000 RPM shift points were fairly commmon in the heat of battle. Unfortunately, things have a natural tendency to break under the stress of a high rpm motor and they did. That's one of the reasons it so difficult to find unharmed 302 motors. Thankfully there are people like us trying to save them and are willing to spend unreasonable amounts of money to restore them.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech

you will see ALOT of cars with z/28 stripes. you will also see ALOT of cars with SS emblems. Seems ALOT of people like to stick z/28 or ss on plane jane cars. i have no problem with clones as long as people do not try to pass them off as "the real thang". just be careful before you buy and if you a paying the price for a real car, try to make sure it is a real car. you have asked the right type of ?'s (seen a few of your other posts) and you know you can get help here if you find something you have a ? about. i think it is going to be very hard to find a '69 with the orginal paint, so the incorrect stripes may be something you see a lot. dx1 "bumble bee" stripes are very rare and i doubt if you find any. you will probably see a lot of the cowl hoods too. they seem to be a popular add on. if you want a lot of comfort options (air, auto) then as sr71bb said the ss is the way to go. good luck, true big block cars are sort of hard to find too.
DjD, thanks for catching the pace car thing - wouldn't want to steer someone wrong

[This message has been edited by mike brown (edited 05-05-2000).]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 06:20 PM
Tech Team

the "cowl hood" was an option on the SS and standard on the Z28.
SS had the hockey stick stripe, Z28 had the two bandit stripes, as you called it......

------------------
Mike
69 Conv
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with sr71bb, if performance is what you are after, I'd go with a big block and a 4 speed. The fun factor is just hard to beat, I've owned many a small block, a few that were well over 300 horse, and all automatics, and it's no comparison to my current setup. That seat in the pants feel, which is torque more than horsepower, it's really an adrenaline rush everyone needs to experience to understand. I kinda fell into my big block Camaro, and it wasn't sold to me as a true SS/396, but the drivetrain is correct, and that's all I care about. If you're not looking to resell and make alot of money, you might get lucky and find something like I did, but it took time, and wasn't easy. If you need help, feel free to email me, or post it here like I did. Pics of my clone can be seen at: http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/
KZ
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 6th, 00, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech

the cowl hood was an option on either the ss or the z/28. it was not standard and not nearly as popular as you would believe looking at today's cars (everybody's got one). it did come with the pace car or copo cars as part of the option package, but in the z/28 you had to order it:
ZL2 Hood; special ducted (available only when Camaro SS or Z28 Special Performance Package is ordered) only 10,026 were ordered at a cost of $79.00. Of these 3,674 were for pace cars, that left 6,352 to divide between the z (20,302 production run)and ss(30,000 production run).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 10th, 00, 03:15 AM

WELL IT LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS GOT THE STRIPES RIGHT AND YOU WILL FIND A VARIETY OF RENDITIONS OF THOSE STRIPES. IF YOU REFER TO AN ASSEMBLY MANUAL IT WILL GIVE THE EXACT DEMINISIONS. Z'S DID NOT COME STANDARD WITH
COWL HOOD, SPOILERS OR EVEN GUAGES, THEY WERE PLAIN JANE AWSOME RACE CARS THAT WERE AND ARE SOMEWHAT NOT DAILY DRIVEN FRIENDLY. I WAS 3 YEARS OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL WHEN I LOOKED AT THE 69'S AND THE SS WAS MORE APPEALING THEN FOR DAILY DRIVING. HAVING SAID THAT I HAVE IN MY COLLECTION SEVERAL VARIETIES OF THE WONDERFUL 69'S. A Z-28, 2-L-78,AND A COUPLE OF SB RS/SS CONVERTIBLES.
THE KILLER GOES TO THE DAYTONA YELLOW L-78 4 SPEED WITH 355'S, COUPE VERY SIMILAR TO THE Z AS FAR AS SOLID LIFTER, INTAKE AND CARB, EXCEPT FOR THE CUBES. BRUCE

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode