solid motor mounts - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

do any of you out there run solid motor mounts on the street? my question is, i am going to run solid's with my big block, but when looking through a vendor book(competition engineer), they tell you if you are going to run them on the street, to use a stock tranny mount. well, i was always told if you run solid's in the front, you have to run one with the tranny.
but in the next paragraph,in the magazine, they tell you that you have to run solid with solid. what's going on?
has anyone ever run solid mounts with a stock tranny mount? i'm getting ready to pull the engine to install a new cam, and i have a solid tranny mount waiting to be put in, but should i use the stock one, like they say to?
thanks,
bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 09:30 AM
David Pozzi

I ran solid engine mounts for over 10 years on my 67. I drove on the street and autocrossed it. I noticed that there was a little more vibration with a factory balanced engine. When I installed a custom balanced 350 it was very smooth.
I boxed in the factory engine mount by welding plates to each side over the rubber. I broke the factory rubber mount twice. It was non interlocking. And no interlocking mount was available at the time.
I wouldn't run a solid rear mount because it may put stress on the trans case and cause a crack. The chassis is going to twist when going into driveways etc.
Another thing is solid mounts will tend to make the motor mounts and frame mounts bolts come loose due to added vibration. Even though I couldn't feel it the drivers side frame mount bolts came loose. I would recomend going to nylock nuts.
I'm going to put energy suspension engine and trans mounts on the car now.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I'm with david, the Energy Suspension polyurethane mounts are the best of both worlds.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 5th, 00, 04:21 PM
Tech Team

I read somewhere that a good idea for the street was to use one solid and one rubber. The solid takes away much of the twist while the rubber takes away the vibration. It was interesting.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 00, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech
David

i run a solid mount on the left and a rubber on the right with a stock rubber transmission mount, works fine for me, and i have never had any bolts come loose. my 2 cents

------------------
67 RS
355, SUPER T10 4 SPD
9" FORD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

thanks guy's,
i think i'm going to keep the solids in the front and run a stock tranny mount. if worse comes to worse, i'll put in a front motor mount plate or weld the frame mounts.
i just backed out the car for the first time with the new rear suspension. man does it looked good. my little guy and i washed it. there was probably and inch of dirt on it. got some pictures of it. i'm going to see about putting them on a disc and see if i can send in some of the pic's.
later and thanks again.
bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode