HP diff. between clutch fan and flex fan? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 01, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Question

Gentlemen.......i just put a z/28 clutch fan on my 69 camaro rs/ss...i took off a flex fan.
which uses MORE HP to run the flex fan or the clutch fan??
did i do the right thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 09:11 AM
Tech Team

If the clutch fan is working right it would be the best choise.
I have seen on a dyno that a clutch fan uses less HP that a flex fan .
And I read somewhere about a comparison on them. The clutch fan won every time.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 09:36 AM
Senior Tech

The clutch fan uses less power but they also go out at the most inopportune time. If your luck is better than mine use it. I have noticed that my Nova cools better with a flex fan but they are notorious over heaters.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Thumbs up

thanks guys....thats what i needed to hear!

Gotta love camaro"s!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech

IMHO i like electric fan's. the most power for the cooling.

also a flex fan can cause premature whearing out of a water pump. a clutch fam is nicer to the water pump. but any motor mounted fan causes undo stress on the water pump shaft from the load and vibration. no fan motor mounted is vibration free.

haveing your belt's too tight also causes undo stress on the water pump shaft.

with a electric fan you get the most HP to the wheel's and your performance and fuel econamy will go up. your water pump will last longer too. most pump's fail from stress realted bearing whear and seal's failing because of this. with out a fan on the pump shaft this basical go's away, unless you have your belt's too tight.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech

Ok why is a flex fan harder on waterpump bearings. A clutch fan is definately heavier and the greatest mass is forward of the fan {farthest from the bearing} sure it doesn't turn all the time. But the less weight and shorter distance to it should reduce the load on the bearing. You are right about electric fans at one time they were unreliable but the new ones work wery good. And it takes no HP to run one.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 11:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

I have a thermal clutch on mine but want to know if any of you have installed an electric fan inside the original fan shroud. It could look original at first sight if it fits inside. Have any of you done it? Which size or brand? Just thinking for a future proyect.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech

There is a article on this subj in a fairly recent issue of car craft, sometime over the summer i think..they did the tests...the clutch fan came out way better hp wise than anything except the electric.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 12:59 PM

To answer the question....about 12-16 HP.

This is realitive to a fan and clutch, as compared to no fan/clutch at all.

Yet an electric will also eat up some power too. Alternator loading will cost you very little, but it does take some...maybe 3-4 HP.

Circle Track Magizine just did a great article on cooling system parts. (the issue dedacated to Dale E.) It explains it, how and why......
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 02:12 PM
Tech Team

I have to agree that a eletric fan is the best way to go
Cant beat the cooling.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 02:34 PM
Senior Tech

ORENCH I had to put one on my Nova when I put air on it just get a real narrow one. My 79 vette came with an electic fan in front of the clutch fan.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech

oger,

the clutch fan set up isolate's the pump shaft from vibration and since a clutch fan never totaly lock's up the stress from driving a fan all the time is not there. the clutch is a viscus type clutch. it uses a silicone fluid that is very thick. it work's kinda like a tourque converter. the fluid is what transfer's the power, it also absorb's some of the load and vibration.

this is why the general went ot a clutch fan, less stress on the water pump and more power to the rear wheel's. now most new vehical's are going to electric fan's. they get more power to the rear wheel's and the alow the motor to work less to do the same thing cause they are not as much of a load on them. light truck's are going this way too. the motor mounted fan is going the way of the carburator on new car's people.

oh and oger just go to a clutch fan manufature's web site. you will get the same info i posted. allso i belive the car craft artical covered this too. i belive supper chevy did a artical on this too.

[This message has been edited by ilbl8 (edited 04-18-2001).]
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Cool

Thanks ilbl8.....that was a good explanation.

Hey Chacane67.....could you be a little more clear on your 12 to 16 HP explanation.
is there a 12 to 16 hp diff. between a flex fan and a clutch fan?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech

i think he ment between any motor driven fan and an electric fan.

some maker's claim up too a 40 HP differance, but i have seen chasie dyno's give 12 to 20 HP more with an electric over a motor mounted fan.

i belive there is a great diferacne between flex fan's and clutch fan's just do not have any #'s. all the expert's say a clutch fan is the best of all the motor driven fan's, they take less HP to run and add less stress to the water pump.

the 3 to 5 HP for an electric fan i do not know about. most electric fan's take up to 30 amp's at start-up then drop to around 10 to 15 amp's when runing.

some monster OEM dual electric fan's take up to 60 amp's starting up and 30 amp's runing.

i personaly belive that the impact on the motor is almost not mesurable, as an alt is going to be running anyway. and if it is 3 to 5 HP that is not gona impact you any, heck you would never be able to feel the power loss, and as for the impact on speed and stuff that is basicaly not there at 3 to 5 HP.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Thumbs up

Thanks ilbl8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode