generation, IV, V, VI, 454 whats the difference? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 7th, 00, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

OK, I'm a moron! Is one generation better, stronger, than the other. What about deck hight, there's a tall, is there a short then? Can I assume short is better? I have Dart intake and pro 1's. Will all generations accept a roller set up?
Have ya ever noticed when you have some parts for sale, ya can't give em away, and when ya want to buy some they become a priceless piece of engineered art work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 7th, 00, 03:40 PM

I'm certainly NOT an expert, but my understanding (from reading the GMPP catalog) is that the Mark IV is the first generation PRODUCTION Chevy big-block, and that it was succeeded by the Generation V and then the Generation VI versions.

The Mark IV had the main oil gallery located in the lower portion of the block, abover the oil pan rail. The problem with this location is that if you wanted to use a longer stroke crank and needed to machine the pan rails for clearance, there was a good chance of cutting into the oil gallery. A BAD thing.

The Gen V fixed that by moving the gallery to a more "benign" location.

The Mark IV also used a two-piece rear main seal, which was prone to developing leaks. The Gen V incorporated a one-piece rear main seal, thus greatly reducing leaks.

With the Gen V, Chevy also introduced the siamesed-bore 502, which had no cooling jackets between the cylinders. The thicker cylinder walls, however, allowed larger bores without weakening the cylinder walls.

I understand that the cooling jackets in Gen V blocks were shaped differently than those in Mark IV blocks, which made using Mark IV cylinder heads on Gen V blocks a NO-NO, because coolant would seep into the lifter valley because the head jackets would not mate-up properly with the block jackets.

One change that was controversial was the elimination of the mechanical fuel pump boss on Gen V blocks. This meant that owners of older, mechanical fuel pump cars had to switch to an electrical fuel pump, which was something many folks did not want to do.

I'm sure there were other updates incorporated with the Gen V, but I can't think of any.

With the Gen VI, Chevy put the mechanical fuel pump boss BACK on the 454/427 blocks, but continues to omit it on the 502s.

Additionally, the Gen VI block is machined for the use of the "magical" factory hydraulic roller-lifter cam.

Beyond these changes, I'm not sure what other differences there are between the Mark IV, Gen V and Gen VI engines.

Perhaps others can fill in any gaps I've left.

Big O Dave

------------------

[This message has been edited by Big O Dave (edited 05-07-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode