Too much gas tank pressure! - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I've got a 330hp/350 GM crate with a Holley 750 vac sec. I'm thinking it may be too much for this motor as it still runs rich with mixture leaned back to nearly 1/2 turn out! I was just now putting a 625 holley on and when I disconnected the fuel line....It sprayed like a garden hose all over the place. I quickly put my thumb over the line and yelled for my wife to take off the gas cap...When she did, the sudden release of pressure blew the cap off so hard it hit her in the face! That can't be normal. ONly about 1/8th of a tank of gas. Could this much pressure be affecting performance? Perhaps forcing too much fuel through the carb? Still unclear as to why there seems to be more pressure with less gas in the tank than with the tank nearly full. Any comments, advice would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, my wife's black eye should heal just fine.

Kidding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 01, 01:07 PM
David Pozzi

That 750 should work fine.
If you have the factory crossflow muffler, check for an exhaust leak. I had hot exhaust gas blowing on my gas tank, causing it to boil the fuel!
It will get worse when the tank is low.
Also get the gas cap tested.
The smog test places in Calif, test the cap for the amount of pressure it can hold back.

I asked the guy how much pressure it was, and he didn't know! the guage just reads PASS/FAIL.
I would guess your fuel cap should not allow the tank pressure to go over 6 to 7 psi. as the carb would not be able to handle more than that.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 06-15-2001).]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks Dave. It sure seemed like there was more than 6-7 psi of pressure in there. I heard the thing blow off from the front of the car. Do you think there would be a problem with drilling a small hole in the gas cap to relieve the pressure? I'm thinking that it is the fuel pump's job to deliver all the required fuel under pressure, not the tank's!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
John

Mine does it too, but not to the extent that you are describing. It was funny though when I was swapping out my carb... I unhooked the line and it was definately gushing gasoline everywhere until I popped the cap. You can buy venting gas caps from Rick's First Generation.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 07:41 AM
David Pozzi

The newer fuels have oxigenates in them and stuff like ether, this makes for some nasty fumes coming out of the gas tank.
You should maintain some pressure on the tank to keep these fumes from escaping or your fuel will go sour faster when the car is stored, there will be more danger of fire or explosion if you park in a garage, due to the fumes.

I was thinking about why it would be worse when the tank is low...
A near empty tank would have more volume of compressed air/fumes in it, so it would "feel" like there was more pressure due to the larger volume escaping when the cap was released.
If it isn't over 6 psi or so, it's OK as is.

I'd buy a new cap.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 06-16-2001).]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 01, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech

Hey englemac, I see you made it to N.C.....
How are things at Pope AFB? Where did you find a place to live? Are you planning on going to any car shows in the southeast?

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...695&p=33013081
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 01, 01:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Drilling a hole in the cap is addressing the symptom, not the problem. When I remove my cap there is sometimes the slightest hiss. I would suspect heat causing the volume of air/fumes to expand.Please let us know how it resolves itself.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 01, 04:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
You don't say what year car you have. 67-9 Camaro's use vented gas caps. Is yours a vented cap ? It will say so on the cap.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 01, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Hey Bob!yeah..finally made it here to Fayetteville, NC. Got a decent place to stay in this not so decent town. 50,000+ Army and 3000+ AF rightfully earned this town the nickname "Fayette-nam". I've been trying to find some car shows local, but the funny thing is - this is the first place where I can't find any car shows and cruises. And old cars are more rare than usual.

As for the gas tank, I drilled a tiny hole in the cap until I can find a more permanent solution. I didn't want to crack the filler neck like my last tank. My cap says it is vented, but didn't seem to be venting. I have to take my tank off soon anyway...My guage is reading erratically and off scale high. As far as aircraft go...when a guage reads off scale high, it's trouble! Electric in the fuel tank. I guess the same would hold true for cars.

Oh, Clill...sorry, it is a 69.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 01, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech

My buddy once bought a Corvette ZR-1, that was previously totaled and fixed (rollover) He was having performance related problems, it turned out that his gascap had paint dust blocking the vent hole. He fixed it with an old guitar string. the difference in performance was night and day.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode