What is the best vortec head money can buy? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 01, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hi, i am wanting to upgrade.. I believe i have stock heads on my old 350, bored .30 over 1973 Type LT motor with originally 145hp. I bought the motor like this and I dont know a lot about the pistons, heads, cam, or anything. It runs pretty strong.

What do you guys need to know and where do i look to get the info you need to help me out?
i read a lot of posts that say the vortec heads are a good deal, and i was wondering what i should look for in a head upgrade.

Thank you very much!

------------------
73 Camaro LT 350/355
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 01, 01:44 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I recently bought a crate engine with Vortec heads on it. They should bolt right on. If you buy used ones, I've been told to look out for ones that have been modified because if they have been ported, polished, etc...This may actually hurt performance. Also, the vortec heads take center bolt valve covers and require a different intake manifold with vertical hold down bolts (which cost about $1.75 each) instead of the old ones that bolt down at an angle. The exhaust ports are "D" shaped instead of oval shaped. To be correct, you are supposed to get "D" shaped headers, but I am getting by with my old ones with very little leakage. You can identify them at a swap meet by three triangles in a row on the forward side of the head. Hope this helps. -Chris
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 01, 01:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Good luck! Also, there has been some recent discussion about which forum to post in. In helps everyone ( especially the administrators! )if for example this question is posted in the engine or performance forum. Having said that, if you were to do a search, there is good discussion on different heads. When you add in the intake manifold, etc, you have other good choices and can buy Dart or World Products iron heads or Trick Flow aluminum in the $800-$850 range.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 04, 09:59 PM
Senior Tech

i got my pro topline vortecs for around$440 bare,and added pbm stainless valves for $112 and comp 981 springs for $60,splurged on comp 10* retainers(about $60)and locks(about $30)and and speed pro valve seals($21)topped em with comp 1.5:1 magnum roller tip rockers ($85 on ebay)and arp 3/8"screw in studs($22 on ebay).still looking for some crane kool nuts poly locks for a good price,but for 750 bucks i'll put em up against any other vortec heads out there!
post in engine or better performance for the good answers!
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 04, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech

oh yeah,the toplines have thicker decks and way beter cooling properties than the gm vortecs.
Eric

86 camaro,383,topline vortecs,scat crank,wiseco forged 9.5:1,6"scat rods,comp xs282s,performer rpm,750 proform vac sec,msd in cap, hooker coated 1 5/8"headers,3"flowmaster,700r4,2800 stall,3.42 10 bolt posi,hotchkiss lca's,aje tube k member & a-arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode