AC leaking - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK this is about my 87 fullsize Blazer but I have Camaro's so I deserve help anyway. I have had it for about six years and the AC has always worked great, until now. Yesterday all it did was blow out hot air so I went and bought one of those conversion kits to R-134 thats comes with the fittings, three cans of R-134 and one can of oil for the system. I wasn't going to do the conversion right away if there was still the old stuff in the system due to environment issues (I have a mechanic friend that could have helped drain it if it had stuff in it) Anyway I checked and it was totally empty. I did the conversion and charged it and everything seemed fine although not as cold as the old stuff. Today I tried the AC and it didn't work that good, warm air again. Simple deductive reasoning would tell me I have a leak somewhere. My question is how do i find the leak? Is there some dye stuff or something that I can run through the system to find it? I'm lucky that today and yesterday were just fluke hot days and its going to cool down again starting tomorrow. I would like to fix this before the real hot weather is here to stay. If at all possible I would like to do this myself. I hate hot weather so please help me. There has to be a simple way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech

There is some dye that can be ran through the system. But I would get the whole system checked since you may fix this leak ( which probably a dried out o-ring in a fitting ) but others may appear later. Also have some refrigerant "oil" added, A qualified A/C man can do all of these things for you.

------------------
68 RS Ash Gold
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thank you, maybe I'll have a talk with my mechanic friend.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 11:26 AM
Tech Team

my dad heard somewhere not to change over to the newer freon to prevent leaks because the elements were smaller than the old stuff, so when it's used, holes the old stuff wouldnt have come out of then new stuff will. i'm not sure if this is completely accurate, but just a thought
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech

Actually,

There is a electronic device called a sniffer that can detect escaping freon. It emits a load beep when freon is detected. Any good repair shop will have one. The most obvious leak are will be around the clutches in your compressor indicating of course bad compressor seals. Good luck!!!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys. My mechanic friend told me that they do make a 0-ring kit. With the truck being 13 years old and having 176,000 miles I think I will just do it anyway. He told me that the leak at a fitting would appear to be black so I will have to check it out. If not they have a dye they can run through the system. I am having all four of my wisdom teeth out in a couple hours and will be out of commission a few days and away from the computer (not online at home). I am trying to get my fill of Team Camaro before I go under. Thanks for the advise guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode