Front Spoiler Center Mount - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Where does the spoiler cent brace attach to on the car? Have been looking and cannot see where it would go

------------------
68 RS Ash Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 10:20 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
i left mine out, but i think its suposed to attach to the brace coming off the crossmember with a self tapping bolt.mine is very stiff without it.

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 03:05 PM
Senior Tech

it goes from center of spoiler to cross member just about right below where your pulleys are. use the brace for a template and drill a hole. i used a bolt and nut instead of a self tapping screw.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 03:15 PM
Tech Team

I'm about to add a front spoiler also. I emailed Year One and D&R Tech with the same question since instructions to mount the front spoiler don't appear in the assembly manual. They said there was no template or reference. Just use the center spoiler bracket to mark the frame/bracket connection location and drill a hole into the same frame brace DOUG G mentions.

I'd be great if a member with an orignally equipped front spoiler car would scan a photo of this area to answer any future questions on this topic....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 8th, 00, 07:09 PM
Tech Team

I am not absolutely sure about a 68, but in the 1969 Camaro assembly manual, it shows to use the brace as a template, and drill a 3/8" dia. hole, and assemble it with a screw, (I used a bolt), through the top, and a lock washer and nut on the bottom, like mike brown described. Also, for what it's worth, I have noticed that the repo center brace is a slightly different length than the GM origionals. Mine just happened to be an origional.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech
AL

My factory D-80 car measures 3.5 inches from the nose of the frame back to the center of the hole.
AL
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 06:03 PM

depending on when your 68 was built, it may not require a brace. 68 cars built in 67 thru march or april 68 had a spoiler that had no braces and was attached to the front valence panel by 5/16 headed sheet metal screws. they are about 3.5 inches wide and are reproduced and sold by goodmark. a nice reproduction. sometime in may/june 68 they switched to a 69 style spoiler with braces. although the 69 assembly manual shows a bolt washers and nut holding the brace to the frame, this is not how gm did it. the brace should be attached to the spoiler and the held up agaist center brace of subframe. not sure of what size hole is required, but the correct bolt is a 1/2 inch head self tapping. threads are 1/2 in to 3/4 inch long. same type of bolt that hold fuel and brake lines to the subframe.most have a headmarking that loks like a "c" with three slashes coming from it. hope this helps, mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode