Losing Voltage???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Angry

When my 1991 Z28 gets up to temperature the volts showing on the volmeter go down. When I hit the brakes it moves down more, and even more with the blinker and the brakes on. The needle moves to the blinking of the blinker. Volts are dropping way below 14 on the gauge. I have takin the fuses out for the heater/ac, the stereo, and the lights. Nothing seems to make it better. After about 30 mins of driving in town the alternator is hotter than the engine. It runs just fine on the highway no problems. After 2hrs of highway driving I can still put my hand on the alternator. I have replaced the alternator and my battery still has the green eye. Does anyone know what could be causing this????

------------------
1985 Camaro, 331 320hp
1991 Camaro Z28 230hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech

it is a poor designe of the CS altermator you have. they make what is called a "iceberg" repair kit.

what happen's is the alt over heat's and causes the electronic's to go nut's. it is because of a poor cooling designe and heat from the rear bearing. all CS type alt's have this problem.

you can get this repair kit from jeg's and summit. i also bet your local part's store can get it for you. it is around $100.00. a rebuilt CS type alt run's from $100.00 to $150.00.

i have the same alt in my '91 suburban. i have replaced it twice. when it dose it again i am getting a "iceberg" kit for it. they also sell one that will up the out put to 150amp's. that is the one i am getting.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Is there a different alternator I can get or is the kit the best way to go??

------------------
1985 Camaro, 331 320hp
1991 Camaro Z28 230hp

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 01:34 PM
Senior Tech

the CS alternator's have a higher out put at idle, you need this with all the electric stuff you have. you can make a SI alt. fit on but, the low idle out put will mean you will start getting in to the batt to bring up extra power needed.

you have 2 choises that are cost efective, get a rebuilt alt, i like the life time one's cause it will over heat again trust me. or try the "iceberg" kit. me i am going to warenty my life time alt again and then put the "iceburg" kit into it. that way i have a basicaly new alt.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Yep thats what I got was the one with the lifetime warranty. So if this one goes I can get another one. Thanks for your input on this.

------------------
1985 Camaro, 331 320hp
1991 Camaro Z28 230hp
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech

just here to help buddy! happy motoring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode