SMOG CHECK - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Can 1969 camaro with a v-8 and without smog equipment pass smog if the motor isn't pumped up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 12:29 PM

I could be wrong but I think everything from before 1973 is smog exempt in CA.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech

Not at change of ownership and they are trying to brink back the old rules of everything 1966 and up every other year{yuk}

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 01:05 PM
Senior Tech

I live in the Bay Area of California and in Jan bought a car that was from Nevada. I changed the title into my name and they did not require a smog check.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

The reason why im asking is because there trying to kill the 30 year exemption and if thats the case it will 1966 and lower. So back to the original question, will a car without smog equipment pass smog if the motor isn't pumped up?
Thanks for any insight!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech

It has to look stock or have stickers for every change you made stating that they have been certified by the state.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech

Oger, how would they be checking? Possibly when the DMV is doing the inspection to supposedly verify the VIN? I just printed the paperwork off of the web and had a peace officer fill it out (friend of a neighbor) since at the time it was inoperable.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Just for your info,in AZ they smog,idle and cruise 67 and up.They dont lift the hood on anything older than 75. If your car is running properly,there should be no problem on the sniff test.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 05:56 PM

Everybody in California needs to write to their Congressman and let them know how you feel.

The California Air Resource Board is pushing the legislation because they are madated to reduce emissions in Ca. They are using old cars as a way to avoid cracking down on heavier poluters in the corporate world who speak with money.

I might be a little missimformed but check with SEMA, they always help put up a fight against this kind of legislation.

------------------
68 Camaro coupe, 350/PG/10.2rear--soon 383/200r4/10.5;3.73!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech

bilydean you registered it as non opp. smog cert is not required untill you make it operational.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 07:10 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I wasn't asked to smog my '69 2 yrs ago when I went from non-op to registered. Within the last year or so they stopped smogging pre '72 cars that come in from out of state.

The panic is starting to set in here in CA and some of it is for good reason!! IMO we may have to pass a sniff test someday in the not to distant future. As for the visual test it will be the states burden to prove what smog equipment these old cars were equipped with from the factory. In '69 some V8's were sold with and some sold without smog pumps in CA. Look at what we go through to try to get a little history and figure out what our cars started life as!! Think the state can do better?

We had a gentleman speak at our last club meeting, he told of choppers flying around spotting non compliant cars from the air and giving locations to tow trucks that would come take these cars away... NOT!!! Too much money!!!

Don't get me wrong, there are bills that could impact our hobby in a negative way. We all need to get involved and in a polite thought out way, address the proper elected officials for the areas we live in...

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 05:56 PM

CA requires a visual inspection first. No smog pump no pass, simple as that. Hard to say if the law will change, again. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just move to another state if they make you get it smoged.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 06:30 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergeant Gearhead:
CA requires a visual inspection first. No smog pump no pass, simple as that. Hard to say if the law will change, again. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just move to another state if they make you get it smoged.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sarge, we are talking '72 and older... On pre '72 there is currently no inspection, no sniffer and nothing to pass or fail!! That includes comming in from out of state... You are still required to be in compliance but there is no program in place at this time to check or inforce it...

Cars that didn't come with smog pumps will never be required to have one!!! I had a '69 Camaro with a 327 and a power glide and it was first sold in CA and didn't have a smog pump... To register it I had to have a NOX system installed (glow in the dark green thing with vacuum hoses and green goop sealing the idle mixture screws).

I'm sure your are thinking of modern cars....

------------------
...Dennis
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
"The Club"
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Exclamation

I bought my 69 in January of this year. No smog check required at change of ownership.

All this could change if we're asleep at the wheel!

Joe

------------------
69 396 w/SS Trim
[email protected]
69 Pics http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...559&a=11674961
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 07:02 PM

I registered a 73 chevy pickup at the Carmichael, CA DMV that came from Idaho. It had no smog equipment on the 454 engine. I had to take it through the drive through inspection line and all the guy did was check the vin. Anything 73 and earlier can be registered without a certification. I have heard the rumblings that this may change. It makes me wonder what will happen when I finally register my 67 Camaro with a stock appearing 327 even though the original engine was a 6 cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode