inner fender splash shields - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
Has anyone installed new rubber splash shields on the inner fender wells of their 1st generation? Getting ready to replace the missing/deteriorated ones on my 68 and looking for any advice/tips on this. I figure i can just remove the old staples and insert the new staples through the existing holes and then bend the ends back with pliers and a small ball peen hammer. What do you guys think?

------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

Just got through with this @ 3 weeks ago. I had to do this on some inner fenderwheels that had just been powdercoated and the holes for the staples couldn't be seen because the powdercoating covered it up. I drilled out the holes with a drill first and then inserted the staples thru the inner fenderwells and then thru the guards with the staple opening being on the inside of the inner fenderwheels. I would consider this a two person job because the staples are VERY stiff and require a good amount of pressure to close. Pressure needs to be applied to the closed end of the (engine side) staple to assure that the staple is fully seated through both the fenderwell and fender guards prior to you closing the staple on the wheel side of the inner fenderwell. I would suspect yours may be easier to install since you have some existing holes to work with. Still though, I would get a friend to help you!!

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 05-09-2000).]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I havent done mine yet either, but sounds good. Instead of pliers(might damage the rubber)try a hammer and a body dolly.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 01:47 PM
Tech Team

Joe, I did this job on my 69 about a month ago. I found it helpful to glue the rubber to the fenderwell with some weatherstrip adhesive. That way my hands were free to work on the staples. The replacement staples I got with the kit were of a larger diameter than the original staples, so I had to drill out the holes. The new staples are certainly durable, but I was able to bend them into place with pliers. Dan.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Joe, could you look in Body Shop under my name..it should be the first post and see if you could help me out? Thanks man.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech

I just finished replacing the splash shields
on my 1969 Camaro. I ordered the kit and the
shields are not exactly the same shape as the
originals. I also noticed the staples were a thicker gauge and smaller. I searched around
for some suitable replacements. I did not find any. What I did was use the same gauge
safety wire and some safety wire pliars. This
was very easy and only took 1 hour to replace all the shields. I used a small hammer to flatten the wire to simulate the original staple look. From inside the engine compartment, it looks original. I then
undercoated the fenderwells and you cannot see the saftey wire. Good luck
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I did the same as Bob except I just painted the staples on the inside of the wheelwell. I used a galvanized wire to reduce surface corrosion. A pair of needle nose pliers can be used to shape the wire into the proper sized U since most taper toward the handle.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 00, 04:50 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Is it correct for the staples to face down? I too just got a kit for my '69 and would think they would stay on better if the folded over ends face up. I don't think that is the way the factory did it though...

I didn't see a single car with them at the Dream Machines show in Half Moon Bay last weekend!!!

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 00, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
Thanks for all the tips guys. I think i'll try Dan's advice on using adhesive to hold the shields in place while installing the staples. Thought i might have to drill out the holes. The safety wire sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try to use the staples first, if thats to much of a hassle i'll try the wire.

------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 00, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech

You might want to consider using stainless steel staples. That's what I used over 5 years ago on mine and they still look good. They are used in the air staplers here at work.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 10th, 00, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
DjD, my original staples face down. i agree that having the face up would probably hold better. i bet the only reason the factory put them face down is cosmetic. it looks better from the engine compartment side and you cant really see the closed end on the wheelwell side. just my opinion. joe
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 00, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech

When I replaced my shields a few years back on my 69, I drilled some small holes in the inner fender lip and used #6 stainless machine bolts with a washer and nut on the back to hold the rubber on. It looks a lot more trick and holds it on just as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode