Restore or Bail ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

ok guys..heres a question that has been haunting me for the past week......I have a base model 69 coupe, I have started the resto..well needless to say its alot worse off than I though..so I put together a list with every nut, bolt, clip....and every other part I will need...nw I'm sure I have missed some things..heres where I need some help...the parts come up to 7500.00, without adding in anything for brakes and suspension yet..I figure another 2000.00 for that...I also have a 97 Z28 that I will be using the LT1 and 6spd out of. so now I"m trying to figure out if I should bail out of this project or keep on going...I figure I can buy a damn nice car in need of minor body work for the kind of cash I will have into just the parts for this car....now I know you guys can't answer this for me, but I would like to hear your thoughts......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech

Mindcrime first off what condition is the body in? If there is a lot of rust or if it needs new quarters and you don't have the cash, knowledge or patience to have this done then my advice to you is to take the best parts off the car and then sell it. I was in this same boat earlier this year. I had a 68 base model coupe with a TH350 but no engine. The car needed new quarters and a tailpan but the interior was all brand new. It had some good extras like Koni shocks, rear sway bar B&M shifter and Cragar rims. I did the same thing you did with trying to figure out the total cost of the resto and for the amount of money I was going to spend I could buy another one in much better condition. So I decided to sell my car and one month later I bought a 67 SS350. My advice to you is to really think long and hard before you decide to sell you car because they're becoming very hard to come by. Also remember that restoring a car is a long process and it can't happen overnight. I'm sure there are some people on this board have been working on their cars for years and they still aren't done. If you give us a little more info on the overall condition of the car (body, interior, engine) then I think that we'll be able to help you make this difficult decision. Good luck.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech

Think about it this way...if you put the same amount of money in your car as it takes to buy a decent car that just needs minor work, which would you rather have? Something that already looks good and maybe needs minor work, or something that you know exactly what kind of shape every little piece is in? I say build it...too many times I see people buy a "looker" that ends up needing a lot of mechanical work done, or it isnt everything that the seller said it was. Just my opinion.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice.....as for details...it needs all new frnt sheet metal, rt door is good, rt 1/4 has a nasty patch in it..but I have already cut that out ans welded a new one in, tail pan is full of plastic but I think I can save it, lt 1/4 is nice, lt door is plastic from one end to the other..trunk floor is good. it needs new floor pans in the pass. compartment, inner fenders and core supt are good, the interior is trash it needs to be completely re done, the seat frames and foam are gone..all the ac/heater parts are gone, kick panels are missing, no sun visors....needs a grille, the person that had the car before me just hacked it bad.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 08:05 PM
Senior Tech

This is a tough one to call because it does sound like it needs major work. If you figured your resto cost to be around $7500-10000 and you don't think its worth your time/money then you should sell it. Over here in SoCal there are many first gen Camaros for sale and I'm sure you'd be able to find one that doesn't need as much work as yours. Its hard to tell somone to get rid of something they've worked hard on and have wanted for a long time. I'm not trying to push you in that direction, just trying to be a voice of reason. If you do decide to sell your car try to sell it to someone on this site that will give it the attention that it needs rather than to someone who will just give up on it and sell it for scrap. But if you do keep it at least when its finally done you'll be able to look at it with great pride knowing that you did it yourself.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 01, 10:19 PM

keep it. yes, the initial investment sucks, but it's a lot better to buildand enjoy then buy and dump money into it because every little thing starts going out one by one because the person used crappy parts.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 12:43 AM
Senior Tech

7 to 8K is it??? sheesh, mines gonna be more like 35K when I get it done... IF I ever finish... it will be a lifes work.

remember regardless of what you get your gonna sink money into it. better just to find the one you like the most and stick with it.

------------------

Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 04-19-2001).]
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 01:59 AM
Senior Tech
Brian Cooper

Cool

The truck I am building is currently all over my yard. I am throwing out the stock suspension, wiring, interior, drivetrain and have to replace both front fenders and repair the rear fenders, make new bed boards, weld in a New Yorker clip, rebuild my 340, add A/C, etc... But I hope to be done for around 6K since I am doing everything myself. I don't think I could have a new truck for that money, since I will have basically done a frame off. It will cost mucho dinero now, but when I am done I will have a wicked daily driver. Is it worth the cost and effort? No way, but that won't stop me.

------------------
57 Plymouth Savoy in my family since new, just cosmetically restored, 93 S-10 waiting on the 50 Dodge truck to be built then one s_10 for sale, Angie's mechanic and designated Vette cusser.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 04:07 AM
Senior Tech

From your post (LT-1, 6 speed) it sounds like you're building a Pro Touring type ride. If that's the case you'd be replacing a lot of the big dollar mechanicals anyway, such as brakes, suspension, etc. If you can do your own welding and bodywork that's a huge cost saved right there. Interior stuff surprisingly isn't as expensive as I thought it would be, and likely if you're going Pro Tour style you'll replace some of the original stuff with newer anyway (seats, shifter/console). Keep it, build it! Like some of the guys said you'll know everything is right if you do it yourself.
Of course, I could be wrong...Naaahhhhh!
(Who the hell said that? Was it Steve Martin on Sat. Nite Live? It's bugging me now- I need to know!)

------------------
68 Camaro 355/TH400/3.73
69 Nova 355/TH350/4.88
69 Firebird 400 ragtop
71 Firebird 350
00 Standard Trails 250
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 05:03 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Believe it or not, your car is in better shape then mine was when I bought it. I agree with Pete B that it sounds like youre building a Pro-touring car. This makes it easier on you. stock body work can be a pain, and theres no easy way around except to just do it right! Research suspension parts for the best deal, for example, I found if I use the polygraphite bushing I want only where they make a difference, and then use regular rubber for the rest(like tierod boots etc.) you can save some money, not alot, but it adds up. sell the parts you don't need, such s the interior, even though it needs to be redone, someone might need something you have...more money for the project. then hunt junkyards and want adds for an interior you want. if you already have the engine and trans(and a cool one at that) youve already gotten a big expense out of the way. as far as the missing heater/AC stuff, smooth the firewall and leave it out. I don't plan on driving my car in winter so I took the stuff out on purpose and filled the holes. Basically I'm trying to say BE CREATIVE. if you see something you like in another car, try it with yours, the parts in a junkyard are cheap, and so is you doing the work yourself! BUILD IT AND BE PROUD OF IT!!!!!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 05:28 AM
Senior Tech
In Memoriam

My vote is to keep it.Anyone can go buy a car for transportation,but these Camaros are classics.You will get more reaction from people on the streets with a sharp first gen Camaro and this project would be a good time to learn what you don't know how to do.Think of how proud to say,"I did it myself".I'm sure that many on this board are like me,spend more than they want to on these cars. Personally,I think that if you worry too much about what you spend,you're in it for the wrong reason.Sometimes the love of the cars,rises above the final cost!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Keep it and finish building it! I'm going through the same thing right now with my 67. It is just a plain jane. I sat down and did the same thing you are did. Figured out a rough estimate and I came up with about $7G in parts too. I've owned 3 first gens before this one and I'm determined to finally have a nice car done the way I want. I agree with Travis, if you find a decent car in that price range, I can bet you will still be changing, fixing, and spending more on the car anyway. Keep it and have the satisfaction of knowing you put together your own ride YOUR WAY!!

------------------

Racer#00

Plain Jane 67
76 Trans Am Stock Car
74 Z28 (Basket case)
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 07:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Keep it. I bought what I could afford, knowing it would be a long term projects and, in the end, I would take everything apart. The rust was part ot it and means I'll also learn welding and painting ( last car I painted was in my teens using an electric sprayer - my Dad was not happy, too long ago!)Anyway, it's all part of the therapy program and in the end, as stated, I'll know exactly what I have. No matter what you buy, there will be work. There's no such thing as the perfect car you'll just drive.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 07:58 AM

I don't know where your calling from but I can tell you here in california. You can get a camaro without any rust at all with a shot suspension and a good engine and transmission for 3500. It took me weeks to find just the right one but thats the standard going rate for the average camaro. I think 7 k is a lot of money to fix up a camaro, considering your not even going to rebuild the engine and transmission.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 01, 08:06 AM

Keep it!! You're sitting on a gold mine!! If a guy can sell a '69 camaro for $200,000, that $7500 dosn't look that bad!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode