Big Block Pully's - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 00, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
kel
Senior Tech

I posted a topic several months ago regarding this subject. Kurt S. and Jonesy were kind enough to reply. However, I am still confused and need further assistance.

Anyone out there with a 396-375 hp with a short water pump?

My main question is what is the diameter of the crank pully?

I have a water pump pully that is about 7-1/8" in diameter and have been told by Kurt S. that the water pump pully should be 7.1" I think I have the right water pump pully but it is not stamped with the any numbers. The correct number should be 3906656.

I also have a two groove crank pully with the number 3874414 stamped into it. Kurt S says this is for a '68 BB w/ A/C. The diameter of this pully is 7-3/8". Kurt says the correct pully would be a 3869978 three groove pully.

At his point I am not as concerned about the correct numbers as I am about the correct diameter.

I thought I would be able to use the above mentioned crank pully with my 7-1/8" water pump pully. Here is the problem, they will not fit into their respective areas without interfearing with each other.

I measured about 6-7/8" between the centerline of the crank and the centerline of the water pump pully. As you can see, if I take the radius of my two pullys and add them together I come up with a centerline distance of 7-1/4". Should my crank pully be smaller? Maybe the water pump pully is incorrect?

If the crank pully is smaller than the water pump pully then the water pump will be turning slower than engine speed.

I do not want to turn the water pump too slow and overheat the engine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 00, 04:36 PM
David Pozzi

Try the Camaro Research Group -CRG http://www.camaros.org
They just posted first gen Camaro pulley data there in downloadable PDF format.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
kel
Senior Tech

Thanks David. Lots of good information there. Still, they did not have the diameter listed for the crank on a 396-375 hp. I think it is probably going to be about 6-3/4" by looking at all the other pully information. It seems whenever there is a water pump pully at 7.1" the crank pully in 6-3/4". I have a chrome 6-3/4" crank pully and it fits just about right with the 7.1" water pump pully installed.

Can anyone here who has an L78 do a measurment check on their crank pully diameter?

Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 11th, 00, 05:43 PM

looking at both pulleys for my 68 l78. water pump pulley is a two groove. part no. is 3906656 cv. outside lip to lip on backside is just a tad over 7 inches. i have a three groove cast iron pulley, no. 3869978 bo. front side measurement, edge to edge is almost 6.75 inches. hope this helps. mike
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 12th, 00, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
kel
Senior Tech

Thanks Mike.

Yes your measurments certainly do help.

I suspected the crank pully was 6-3/4" and thanks for confirming it.

Looks like you have the correct pullys for the '68 L78 with power steering.

I have a waterpump pully that is dimensionaly correct but it is not stamped. I do not have the correct crank pully. I do have a one groove chrome one that is funtionally correct though, and will use it until I locate the correct one ata swap met.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 09, 03:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
cb

Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Re: Big Block Pully's

I know this is a very old thread. But I am searching through them all because I am going through the same thing now. I figure why not tap all the info from the guys that have blazed the trail...

I am not the most knowledgeable person by any means (including spelling). I noticed an incorrect statement in the post below and thought I might chime in for general clarification purposes...

If one installs a smaller water pump pulley, the water pump will actually turn faster, not slower than it would with the larger pulley.

OK, the "professor" will put down the chalk now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
I posted a topic several months ago regarding this subject. Kurt S. and Jonesy were kind enough to reply. However, I am still confused and need further assistance.

Anyone out there with a 396-375 hp with a short water pump?

My main question is what is the diameter of the crank pully?

I have a water pump pully that is about 7-1/8" in diameter and have been told by Kurt S. that the water pump pully should be 7.1" I think I have the right water pump pully but it is not stamped with the any numbers. The correct number should be 3906656.

I also have a two groove crank pully with the number 3874414 stamped into it. Kurt S says this is for a '68 BB w/ A/C. The diameter of this pully is 7-3/8". Kurt says the correct pully would be a 3869978 three groove pully.

At his point I am not as concerned about the correct numbers as I am about the correct diameter.

I thought I would be able to use the above mentioned crank pully with my 7-1/8" water pump pully. Here is the problem, they will not fit into their respective areas without interfearing with each other.

I measured about 6-7/8" between the centerline of the crank and the centerline of the water pump pully. As you can see, if I take the radius of my two pullys and add them together I come up with a centerline distance of 7-1/4". Should my crank pully be smaller? Maybe the water pump pully is incorrect?

If the crank pully is smaller than the water pump pully then the water pump will be turning slower than engine speed.

I do not want to turn the water pump too slow and overheat the engine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'68 SS Camaro w/ a '66 427/425 28 year project and counting!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 09, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill
Re: Big Block Pully's

I went with the correct deep 3-groove crank pulley and had to go with a smaller water pump pulley because the'correct' ones overlapped each other. My water pump is overdriven slightly due to the smaller pulley and I ran it for 20minutes during cam break-in in 105 degree heat in Phoenix and it never went above 190.

67 Yenko Tribute - 427/4SPD/Bolero Red
2010 2SS/RS Camaro - Victory Red with White Rally Stripes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode